SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this repo up from a local buy here / pay here for $300 + tax. Paid $60 to tow it home. Total investment at this point is $381

Previous owner ‘couldn’t find’ the key when it was repo’d. He is currently in the county prison so I don’t believe I will be able to connect with him to attempt to buy the keys.

Car had a rock thrown through the passenger window. I did what basic checks I could do without a key - engine isn’t seized, timing belt isn’t broken, oil level is good and the oil is dirty but not neglected...

Have a friend who needs basic cheap reliable transportation. I’m an 850 guy, have a pretty good pile of spares from stuff I’ve upgraded on my 850Rs. Gonna see if I can get it going for him.

First thing I learned...99s have chip keys and getting them replaced at the dealer is $$$$!

·
Registered
17,734 Posts
Key should be $9 for the blank, cut for free and about $140 to program to the car (time plus software).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Key should be $9 for the blank, cut for free and about $140 to program to the car (time plus software).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tow to the nearest dealer was quoted to me @ $300 due to mileage. So, I’m researching alternatives :)

Also wanted to add the dealer sent the paperwork to the State and I was told 3-5 weeks til I have the title in hand. Dealer won’t order / program the key without title.

·
Registered
17,734 Posts
You could source an immobilizer, key, ecu from another 99

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: this turned into one hell of a mess getting the car titled etc but it is now in my name and now starts and runs. I’ve not had a lot of wrenching time due to a recent divorce and increased responsibilities at work - but I’m getting back into it now.

You could source an immobilizer, key, ecu from another 99
That’s what I ended up doing. Immobilizer, ecm, antenna ring and key from another 99 glt. About $35 on half price day thanks to my buddy Robert! Sure took a lot of trips between me and my friends til one of us found a car in the yard with a key.

I had a key cut by the VIN for $40. I ran the antenna ring wiring down the column and tied the junkyard key and antenna ring up under the dash, and use the unprogrammed key to unlock the doors and start the car.

Once the car proves itself worth fixing up, I’ll get another unprogrammed key cut so there’s a spare.

Now, on to current faults..

It starts, but runs kinda rough. If you try to rev the engine above 2500 RPM or so, it kinda sputters and acts like it doesn’t want to do that.

The battery that came in the car is toast. Not sure if that’s from sitting (I should’ve unhooked it, in retrospect....). I’ll probably have to buy a battery

The tires that came on the car aren’t very good, and a couple don’t hold air real well. I have a set of 16 inch steelies with good tires that came on my replacement 850R that can get used up on this car. The factory 15 inch alloys look like crap anyways, so it may be an upgrade appearance wise.

Once I figure out why it won’t go over 2500 RPM, I will test drive it and see if the trans is good. If the engine and transmission are good, I can fix anything else that pops up reasonably I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts