SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 99 s70 2.4 / Auto (glt) that I purchased without keys.

I had a key cut by the VIN, but to tow the car to the dealer and have the key programmed to this car would be about $500 and I have no clue if the car is worth putting $500 more into as I can’t start it.

I’m told if I get the key / ecm / immobilizer and antenna ring from another 2.4 / auto car from 99 that I can use it to trick the car into believing I have the right key.

But I can’t find a 99 in my local salvage yard with keys.

Anyone kept those parts from a scrap car as a set who will sell them?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Have a 99 s70 2.4 / Auto (glt) that I purchased without keys.

I had a key cut by the VIN, but to tow the car to the dealer and have the key programmed to this car would be about $500 and I have no clue if the car is worth putting $500 more into as I can’t start it.

I’m told if I get the key / ecm / immobilizer and antenna ring from another 2.4 / auto car from 99 that I can use it to trick the car into believing I have the right key.

But I can’t find a 99 in my local salvage yard with keys.

Anyone kept those parts from a scrap car as a set who will sell them?
Your best bet is to go to junkyard and get it all from one car. Btw. Programming is between $85 and $150 depending on where you go. The key cost $300 and the remote is another $300 on top of that. Just buy a key off Amazon or Ebay and pay the programming fee at the dealer. Its gonna be the best move. Otherwise if you want it to be cheaper, you are going to have to go to the junkyard and get all of those parts. And they all have to come from the same car. You going to need to have the tools to remove the ECU as well as the immobilizer and and antenna ring. You're not going to save that much money. I insist that you just buy a key off the internet and get it programmed at the dealer. If you want more than one he make sure you bring or buy multiple keys and bring them to the dealer when you're ready to get them programmed. They will program as many keys as you need for that same price. Make sure you get the correct blank key and the correct remote.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts