SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 99 S70 GLT that I bought new and have put 275k miles on it. I have kept it running all these years by taking back to dealer to get it fixed up every 6 months or so. Most recently, I noticed I got a slow leak on my driver rear tie and brought the car to Costco to get new tires but Costco doesn't even carry that size anymore nor can they even order the tires. I ended up taking back to the dealer again but that got me thinking... is it time to finally junk the car?

There are some little problems that's been bugging me for a few years, like the engine burns oil but not bad enough to needing to add old between oil change. Sometimes, the engine cooling fan also doesn't turn itself off after some hard driving or getting stuck in heavy stop and go traffic, lifting the hood for a few minutes solves the problem. I brought up this issue to the dealer before and they suspect either the radiator/hose got clogged up. However, with car this old, they are afraid if they try to replace the hose they might also break the radiator, or at least that's what I am told.

Other than the aforementioned problems, the car runs fine... and I still think it's a shame to junk the car but is it that time to finally do it?

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
I suggest trying Tire Rack for the tires. As far as the other things, you have to make the decision if the car is worth spending the money to fix the things that need to be fixed.

PERSONALLY, I am wondering if the cost of fixing it exceeds its value...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I have bought tires from Tire Rack before but this time it was more of an emergency plus I had some unpleasant experience taking a self bought tire to have it install at NTB or whatever it was called 15 years ago.

I am well aware of the repair cost exceeding the value of the car, however, my justification for the past couple of years has been if I could spend $500 to keep it running for 6 months, I'd be ahead of the game? I know I am just delaying the inevitable, that's why I am also in the market looking for a pre-own.

Regards

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Before you dump the car, find a good Volvo IM, who will probably cost noticeably less and probably care more than the dealer. See what their opinion is of the car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking about that too, the only down side I don't actually live close to one but it might be worthwhile to make the trip.

Regards.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can't believe that thing didn't overheat as soon as you started it. I also am shocked that nobody at the Dealership noticed how clogged that thing was getting during one of your visits, especially since you told them that it was running hot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rep I was working with told me the radiator/hose is likely the problem but he had the thermostat replaced (which was confirmed stuck) first because it was easy to get to. The one side was still clean, I think it's the side you can't see that's clogged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 99 S70 GLT that I bought new and have put 275k miles on it. I have kept it running all these years by taking back to dealer to get it fixed up every 6 months or so. Most recently, I noticed I got a slow leak on my driver rear tie and brought the car to Costco to get new tires but Costco doesn't even carry that size anymore nor can they even order the tires. I ended up taking back to the dealer again but that got me thinking... is it time to finally junk the car?

There are some little problems that's been bugging me for a few years, like the engine burns oil but not bad enough to needing to add old between oil change. Sometimes, the engine cooling fan also doesn't turn itself off after some hard driving or getting stuck in heavy stop and go traffic, lifting the hood for a few minutes solves the problem. I brought up this issue to the dealer before and they suspect either the radiator/hose got clogged up. However, with car this old, they are afraid if they try to replace the hose they might also break the radiator, or at least that's what I am told.

Other than the aforementioned problems, the car runs fine... and I still think it's a shame to junk the car but is it that time to finally do it?

Regards,

If you in Chicago and own volvo perfect volvo mechanic if you ever need private volvo mechanic you can email him 24 hours he replys very fast. [email protected] Or 773-217-8181 text or call you can just google his email you see lot reviews best place to have you volvo serviced .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts