SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the transmission rebuilt back in July. The angle gear started leaking where it bolts to the transmission. When it was removed, the trans side was dry and you could see the oil leaking out of the angle gear. My question is: Do you have to open the gear housing to replace the seals on that side? It doesn't look as easy as the passenger side seals were.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Unless you have the seal puller tool used by volvo, the answer is yes. To take the angle gear apart and reseal it and likely have to replace the crown ring will cost you almost as much as getting a used angle gear. There's one that should fit your car for sale on here right now I think.

Is it leaking gear oil or transmission fluid? Seems like a stupid question but it never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Wait a minute...am I missing something here? The crown ring has three seals and at least one of them can be replaced very easily without removing the crown wheel (the small driveshaft seal which is often the culprit). The crown ring is on the passenger side. If the angle gear is leaking on the transmission side then it's either the other small driveshaft seal (same part number as on the passenger side which is leaking or the green o-ring - these always leak on my car!). You don't have to take apart the angle gear to replace these.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Big Will, how do you remove the o-ring and drive shaft seal on the transmission side of the AG? Do you need a seal puller like TyleR89 said or is there a simpler way? It doesn't make sense that you would have to open the gear housing to change a seal out and jeopardize the integrity of the AG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts