SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
55,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard someone mention the '98-00 S70s may have had transmission issues. Well after visiting my dealer it seems I may have been bitten by the bug.

Only 33k on our '99 GLT. When the engine is cold/warming up the car is very sluggish. At times when cruising then accelerating with a downshift the trans pauses, tach drops, kinda makes you wonder what's going on, then it reengages and off we go. Could become a issue in traffic on the D.C. beltway.

Dealer has had several cars do this. He said that they will:
1. check software, install latest, blah blah
2. if still troubling, replace solenoid
3. if still troubling, replace trans.

Hopefully stopping at #2 will solve it, if not I hope that we get to #3 before our warranty runs out.

Anyone else have any insight on these transmissions?

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I have zero experience, but now that you've officially lodged the problem with your dealer, I believe that they are beholden to fix it since the problem occurred within your warranty period, even if you get out of warranty by the time they figure it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The tranny on by 1999 S70 AWD failed at 60K miles, after the warranty expired ($3000 repair bill). I had complained to the dealership many times about "slamming" into gear but they could never "replicate" the problem. They eventually recommended a transmission flush, whuch I did 2 weeks before the transmission failed. The "angle drive" was also replaced 2 years ago under warranty. Now I am battling with VCNA to get them to cover the repair. Keep good records of your complaints to the dealership. Make sure they note your complaint and their diagnosis/actions on your service receipt. And finally, GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY if you plan to keep a volvo past warranty. They are great, safe automobiles, but they are not the most reliable cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 2000 V70 R AWD had the tranny replaced at 30,000 miles....I own a second R with no problems on the trans.
The dealer replaced it with no qualms under warranty...they checked the fluid first and did the latest software etc....but there was metal debris in the trans and they shipped it off w/out opening it to Volvo and were sent a replacement. I am leery of the replacement but have not exp. any problems to date.
I do have an ext warranty to 100K on this R but the other R has 40K and the std. 50K/4 year warranty.
Fight for what is right....put pressure on the dealer at the mgmt level or owner to take this matter seriously.
Good Luck
Jim

·
Administrator
55,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll get more scoop next week when it goes in for service. I am hoping to get a V70 loaner and perhaps convince wifey to upgrade to a wagon now that our baby has arrived.

I am confident this dealer will do the right thing. We originally purchased a '99 AWD S70 and had nothing but problems for 6wks straight. They gave us 3 options on replacing the car, we took the GLT with cash back option. But you are right, keep good records. thanks.

Chris

·
Administrator
55,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer had the car for 3 days and of course it didn't do a thing. The trans has been acting good lately.

They told me that it is now documented. Guess we'll see how it goes for the remained of the warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.