SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a notice from autobytel, I got pricing from them but didn't buy. It said that '99 S70s have a recall for their blinkers that may not work.

Has anyone else heard about this yet?

Thanks,
Chris
'99 S70 GLT

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a recall in progress. You will receive a letter notifying you when to go in and get the fix. It's not a critical issue, more of an annoyance fix. Side bulbs either flashed twice as fast and/or eventually burned out because of a poorly designed plastic based bulb that got hot because of poor contact. I'm waiting for my letter because if you go in now the dealer may not have the replacement parts yet. I understand everyone will be taken care of by this coming spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This blinker issue has caused a lot of problems for Volvo, notably in Consumer Reports. However, the fix is simple and cheap - go to KMart or a similar store and buy a pair of replacement bulbs. Make sure they are all glass (vs. the OEM glass bulb/plastic base version.) The plastic on the OEM bulbs will melt and cause a short circuit; the embarassing fast flasher is the symptom. I swapped the bulbs on my 99 S70 for a $5 pair of all-glass bulbs - five minutes to replace them and haven't had any problems since (six plus months.)

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts