SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 S60 2.5T AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, recently sold my 06 s60 in hopes to save for an R. Found a 99’ V70r only 2 hours away from where I live and am seriously debating it. Only issue, 200k miles, ATE rotors should be replaced, KONI struts have failed, front axle shafts are clicking, heater core is slowly leaking, and the usual dings and dents of a 22 year old car. Been on the hunt for an R for such a long time that I feel this is more likely than not my best bet at getting an R as a 17 year old. 2k cash, is it worth it or no. Any help is appreciated.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

·
Registered
105 Posts
Are you prepared to invest another $2-5k? Then go for it. Could be lots of underlying issues. PCV, fuel pump, which is a nightmare on these. Tires? I have a 98 V70 GLT. Paid $1500. I am already over $2k in parts and maintenance and it was in very good condition when I bought it a year ago. If it's going to be a project and you can work on it yourself then go for it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 S60 2.5T AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you prepared to invest another $2-5k? Then go for it. Could be lots of underlying issues. PCV, fuel pump, which is a nightmare on these. Tires? I have a 98 V70 GLT. Paid $1500. I am already over $2k in parts and maintenance and it was in very good condition when I bought it a year ago. If it's going to be a project and you can work on it yourself then go for it.

That’s a good point to bring up. I don’t need a money pit right now, but this car is a dream. I think it’ll be worth it overall. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
105 Posts
No problem. If you can swing it, grab it and stash it till you're ready.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Short answer: No not worth it.

Long answer: It might be worth it if it was a better color, but it’s not. It also might be worth it if you fwd & m56 swap it, but that’s a lot of work and I’m not sure how familiar you are with p80’s.

Awd p80’s are usually not worth it unless you’re willing to pay triple the sale price to get it back to stage 0 while retaining awd, and it’s a good color, IMO

I don’t mean to be a bummer, but I was in your shoes 3 years ago and was dissatisfied to say the least once I learned more about awd p80’s

·
Registered
2006 S60 2.5T AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Short answer: No not worth it.

Long answer: It might be worth it if it was a better color, but it’s not. It also might be worth it if you fwd & m56 swap it, but that’s a lot of work and I’m not sure how familiar you are with p80’s.

Awd p80’s are usually not worth it unless you’re willing to pay triple the sale price to get it back to stage 0 while retaining awd, and it’s a good color, IMO

I don’t mean to be a bummer, but I was in your shoes 3 years ago and was dissatisfied to say the least once I learned more about awd p80’s
I appreciate the honesty, I would rather know of these issues before I make the purchase than after. Would you reccomend saving and continuing to search for a P2R? Still fairly new to the whole volvo thing, so all advice is useful.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I appreciate the honesty, I would rather know of these issues before I make the purchase than after. Would you reccomend saving and continuing to search for a P2R? Still fairly new to the whole volvo thing, so all advice is useful.
Ultimately the decision is yours. If you're comfortable with spending money on cars that you wont get back, go for it! Plenty of people do it, but I'm just not one of them. So in that way I'm biased.

P2r's are even more expensive to maintain, I was going to scoop up a p2 VR in red, but even at $7000 I couldn't justify the stage 0 costs. Especially with you being new to Volvo's I would not recommend getting any R really, maybe besides an 850r.

I'd recommend getting a p80/p2 t5m, or na/m really, to learn the platform(s) cheaply. If you like it then move into an R, as your knowledge will save you money.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ultimately the decision is yours. If you're comfortable with spending money on cars that you wont get back, go for it! Plenty of people do it, but I'm just not one of them. So in that way I'm biased.

P2r's are even more expensive to maintain, I was going to scoop up a p2 VR in red, but even at $7000 I couldn't justify the stage 0 costs. Especially with you being new to Volvo's I would not recommend getting any R really, maybe besides an 850r.

I'd recommend getting a p80/p2 t5m, or na/m really, to learn the platform(s) cheaply. If you like it then move into an R, as your knowledge will save you money.
Agree with this. Find a nice P80 V70 T5M and go from there. Later on find a cheap donor R and take the interior and bumper and you're all set. Wouldn't touch a P80 R unless you knew the owner and its history, and you'd need $6-8k for a clean one. Either way, add $1-2k minimum to your purchase price to get back to stage 0.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Back in 97, a friend's dad had 2 T5 sedans - blue and green. I had a T-Bird SC manual with 210hp. The T5 I drove was nice for the day. As fast if not a bit faster, but the power came on differently. The Ford 3.8 felt more like a V8. Anyway, the point is the T5s, being FWD were faster than contemporaries, but today, a Camry TRD would shame it. I know the AWD systems were not reliable and heard many owners pulled the driveshaft. $2K in today's ridiculous market isn't much money. Of course, with shipping lag, you must consider how quickly you need to put it on the road if you bought it, since you never know which crucial part is going to be back-ordered. If you have the means to preserve it or a plan to build it, and you can let it sit while doing so, I say buy it. Just know its not a P2R M66 or anything.

·
Registered
18,276 Posts
Post more pics. If the body is rust free, worth it.

You can fix it many ways, make it better many ways. A forgiving platform to own and while I dislike p80 awd this is a 99 and there are options

Its worth it in parts....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts