SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Read lookforjoe's post at the top of this forum's page for more info. It's a question of date of production not model.

If I was at the computer I'd post the link for you.

When you're looking at cars of this vintage and at this price point, remember - just as BEJinFBK alludes - you are buying the body and interior. That's where the true costs of a restoration lie! If the body is straight, the interior clean, and most important (to me at least) a NON-SMOKER, then mechanicals are straightforward. You can find parts online, you can go to a used site like car-parts, and cobble together stuff that works. You can run as FWD and not AWD. But if it's rusty or banged up or smells bad...then you're stuck.

I agree completely with peterbrown77 there. That's why when I shopped for a 122, I spent ten years looking for one with a near perfect body and interior but completley worn out suspension and drivetrain. Those are easy to fix. Too many 122 guys buy a basket case, then fix up the motor and suspension, and are left with a worthless car wrapped around a new motor and suspension. Then they try to sell it for thousands of dollars.

Agreed. That's why I bought my AWD even with an unknown oil leak that turned out to be pretty serious. The body and interior was nearly flawless. Mechanical bits are easy to fix. Body and paint is not.

If you get that, REPLACE the PCV Breather System ASAP. I had a 99 V70R. Long story short, I ended up parting it out after only driving it for 6 months. The engine failed on it, and after inspecting it, the PCV system was 95% clogged. :\ That was one of the first things we did on my T5M. It's at nearly 242k, and just drives. It went 600 miles nonstop last summer without even caring.

I just bought a 2000 V70 XC on Craig's list with the Low Pressure Turbo 2.4 engine, just to get an AWD P80 Wagon. it has a blown Steering Rack Seal. Needed Two Tires. The Front Control arms/ball joints were shot. Front Struts are shot. Sway Bar Links in front are shot. ETC........155K on the clock.

BUT.....It runs GREAT, and the Interior/Exterior are PERFECT!!! 1 owner lady gave it to her Daughter who killed it driving back and forth to College 120 Miles Round Trip everyday. Triple Black, and everything works!!! GA Car with absolutely NO RUST!!!!

So I decided to pay $600 bucks to buy it and save it.

If I thought that was a good deal, then an almost free R model is a no brainer!!!

GO FOR IT!!!!

JetPaul

ATL, GA

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.