SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a 98 V70R with 70k miles. All regular maintanence is up to date, timing belt done in Nov. Anyway, what are the strong and weak points of the car? I have a 98 S70 GLT with 70k miles and I love it. My main concerns are transmission, AWD, and rear air suspension. I see a lot of them have replaced trannys and people always mention the AWD needing serviced. Is this a issue I should be concerned with? Are there any other things I should look for? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: 98 V70R Pros and Cons? (AaronD81)

I bought mine two years ago, and I love the car. I have 82,000 miles on it. I did replace the trans. last year at 68,000 miles. A disk wore out and the gears moved out of place, the car still drove the 100 miles back to the shop. Volvo will not put a new part with old parts, so the whole trans. got replaced. My total cost for replacement was $2400. Other than that, I have had no complaints with it and no other problems. I think it is a great model with the pre-'97 cables and '98-on body style. My gas milage averages about 22, but I have done 16 (it was fun) and get about 26 on the freeway. The car does allows me to do everything I need and I plan to keep it and frequently get complements on it by others.

·
Registered
198 Posts

I would ask myself if I really need an awd.
You know about the additional maintenance.
You know how your glt does in the snow.
You are going to to spend at least 10% more on fuel.
If you just want a fast wagon, get a t5, it's faster and cheaper to run.

·
Registered
688 Posts

My personal experience has me wondering whether I made the right choice. I bought a '98 in Oct. '04 with 72k miles, all scheduled maintenance done at the original dealer, which is also where I bought it. I paid $13,800. Since buying I have needed

new airpump and check valve - $450 (did myself)
ABS module repair - $150 (also myself)
new spring seats - $365
a cv boot - $325
engine bushing - $120
motor mount - $200

In the next few months I will need

new transaxle u-joint (for AWD) ~ $500
new f&R differential seals ~ $750 (total)

And I expect that within a year I will need to think of new shocks: $2000. That's almost $5000 with no fun mods. (also new tires, but I won't count that). And I don't think I got a lemon. I've heard from plenty of people who have had to do the same repairs. That is part of owning this car. The dealer service supervisor advised to budget $2500 annually for repairs; may be be more, may be less.

The speed and the handling in this car come at a price. I like the car A LOT. Carries what I need it to, keeps my family safe, gives me some road fun. Most comfortable seats I've known, great stereo, and I actually like the stolid Swedish styling. But if you're not a tinkerer, keep in mind that the window sticker is probably 1/3 short of what it will cost you in the next two years. If you don't need the AWD, I think the t5 recommendation may be a good one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the T5 is a better choice for me. On paper the R sounds great, but I don't need the AWD or suspension for as much trouble as it causes. I'm also planning on going back to law school so I want to keep other costs as low as possible. Plus I might find a T5 manual. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts