SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a v70r with 210,000 miles on it an today I noticed fluid leaking from under the car. It's on the drivers side around the turbo area. Looks like it might have a red tint to it. Any ideas thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Power steering fluid can have a red tint. Check the boots on the rack which are on the inner tie rods. See if there is anything dripping from there.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Agreed, power steering is leaking. Clean the area near where you think the leak is coming from and inspect after few days to better see the leak.

Transmission fluid can also be reddish (when new) but usually looks brown after a ton of miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm new to the Volvo scene but it looks like its coming from a unit at the end of the tie rod. Also a few questions. What type of power steering fluid should I be using? Why does my oil have a white sludge on the dipstick (is it coolant)? And why does it seem like there is no off the line power kinda like its starting off in 3rd or something. Lol sorry for all the questions just want to fix these problems.

·
Registered
160 Posts
98 v70r's use regular ATF in the power steering, which is red which is what you are leaking. a somewhat "common" issue is the outer seals in the power steering rack, which needs to be replaced. I just did one on my car, not fun.

As far as i can comment on the off the line power, I believe there is some type of boost limiter in 1st gear to go easier on the transmission from the factory

cant really comment on the oil without seeing it

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Why does my oil have a white sludge on the dipstick (is it coolant)?
Could be a coolant leak or just a dirty ol'motor. Change the oil, perform a SeaFoam treatment, check the PCV and go from there.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I'm new to the Volvo scene but it looks like its coming from a unit at the end of the tie rod. Also a few questions. What type of power steering fluid should I be using? Why does my oil have a white sludge on the dipstick (is it coolant)? And why does it seem like there is no off the line power kinda like its starting off in 3rd or something. Lol sorry for all the questions just want to fix these problems.
Are you in winter mode? (S E W buttons on the shifter)

Tie rod is connected to the steering rack, steering rack contains power steering fluid. But it's all speculation at this point, unless you can take pictures and show us.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just keep in mind that the 98s use ATF Dex III or higher not power steering fluid. On the 99+ cars, they used a different pump, reservoir design etc. and that uses power steering fluid.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I used to think that too, but the '99-'00 P80 Chassis cars are actually spec'd for DexIII ATF as well. (Per the manual) The early P2 cars seem to be the ones that used the crazy expensive Pentosin fluid or whatever the hell it is. ('99 S80) Visually they seem to have the same pump, but it appears Volvo just changed the kind of PS fluid they wanted to use.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i tried to figure that out when i just did my rack and pump and I came to this. the 99+ or atleast the 00s, have the different reservoir. and some reading online showed me thaqt volvo incorectly lister atf in the owners manual.

The rack had been done 3 years, 50k ago in my car, but was leaking when I bought it, that tells me either something was defective in rack or maybe the wrong fluid was used. All i know is it wasnt atf and it wasnt pentosin. seemed like regualr power steering fluid. you can almost always replace a an older fluid with a newer one but not reveresed. Like GM now uses DEX6 in most trans where say an 00 suburban took DEX4. you can put DEX6 in a DEX4 but not DEX4 in a 2012 ACADIA

·
Registered
760 Posts
If it is power steering fluid leak, one obvious sign would be a low level in the reservoir, have you confirmed it? Do you hear sounds when you steer hard? I had a leak in my V70 AWD and I used a good quality power steering sealant and it did the trick.

My car was notorious for white sludge, apparently, it is a sign of a clogged PCV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts