SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the past few days it had a shudder moving from a stop and a rough 1-2 shift. Totally fine on highway, everything worse when warm, fine when cold.

Well today in stop and go traffic it completely gave out, no power at all, just slips. Got into a parking lot, did a full drain and fill via the hose method (12 quarts) and that let it get healthy enough to limp home at least but on the way home it finally tossed the doomed flashing arrow and check engine light and is still slipping like mad.

So ....damnit...I think this is it for this car, likely one less '98 R on the road. I can absolutely replace the transmission with another used one but then that one's just a timebomb eventually too even though the 4 speeds are better than the 5s.

This car has served my family since new. I got it in college after years of lusting after it. Since then i've had it for 10 years and done tons of work keeping it going....but this....this is probably the last straw and I honestly want to cry a bit. I always thought it would die a glorious death of blowing the engine under 17pounds of boost but nope, the engine keeps on trucking....never would have guessed it would be the transmission to bring this car down.

I have tomorrow off, i'll probably be wondering into some dealerships, will I drive out in a new XC40? I'm not sure....the tease today of the EV XC40 now being released next month sucks timing wise. I was planning on getting a new car next year.....*sigh*

I guess the question is what next for the ol' girl, not much to part out really worthwhile other than I guess the IPD swaybars and I suppose most of the body is in alright shape but no one will want any of a 182K mile engine. It does have the original IPD (TME?) dual exhaust but it's reallll old at this point. Do I junk her? Just sell her to another volvo love to do whatever with? It hurts to think about.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some one will keep the v70r alive
Worth saving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
964 Posts
Put it aside for now and let the emotions and dust settle. I could only imagine your frustration. Give it a couple weeks and then your decision will be sound.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Agreed. Sleep on it.
Time is actually on your side. Depending on how many miles you drive, this could be a blessing. You're in winterland, but if I were you anywhere else I'd buy a cheap sedan temporarily or some fun toy you're always wanted (I currently have a hankering for a second or third gen Miata) and once the new EV comes in you can save the toy for nice days or weekends.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
slept on it.....bought a new S60 T6 Inscription (great deal on a 2019)

expensive sleep!!! Dealership is giving me $500 for the VR with the blown trans, i'll take it.

Picking up the new ride Saturday.....not gonna lie tearing up a bit letting the VR go but it's time

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
At least grab the easy bits off it like the strut brace and R carpets before you let it go.

·
Registered
16,683 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I could easily part it out and make more, but my time is worth more money than I'd make, don't forget the added convenience I'm getting by them picking it up and it'll all just be done.

I promised them I wouldn't strip it because they'll probably sell it to one of their mechanics to replace the trans on and keep alive.

·
Registered
964 Posts
slept on it.....bought a new S60 T6 Inscription (great deal on a 2019)

expensive sleep!!! Dealership is giving me $500 for the VR with the blown trans, i'll take it.

Picking up the new ride Saturday.....not gonna lie tearing up a bit letting the VR go but it's time
Post some pic's of the new ride

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post some pic's of the new ride
Just got her home, quite the upgrade! Got almost $9K off MSRP all said and done, killer deals on the 2019 to be had right now.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's not a Volvo ... that's an Aston Martin....!!! LOL that's gorgeous ...Enjoy !!!

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Holy smokes that’s a leap frog update. Good for you. Right now with two kids in college and one main income that car would have to COST 9k and it would still be stupid for me to buy it. What’s the Volvo box for?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy smokes that’s a leap frog update. Good for you. Right now with two kids in college and one main income that car would have to COST 9k and it would still be stupid for me to buy it. What’s the Volvo box for?
To hold the fancy key fobs of course! It's basically a jewelry box. Totally absurd. The car knows the difference between the two provided fobs as well (one out of the box in use already) so if you have two drivers for the car, each one can have a profile linked to their own fob, so you get in the car with your fob and it automatically knows it's you and puts your seat in position and driving profile.

And of course the fobs are wrapped in matching leather to the interior.

Car comes with 2 big fobs, one small fob, and one separate little aluminum(I think it's super light) key for the lockable glove compartment.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
sleep longer.....that's a bad deal.
I think it is surprise (on good side) the dealer would take it. They will junk it right away.
What can they do with it after all, unless they know of a V70 in need of an engine...

My 233k tranny got problem sometimes on freeway. Seems her early life has been mostly on freeway. I feel lucky still can drive in city streets as my commute car. Waiting for the day to come... lol

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it is surprise (on good side) the dealer would take it. They will junk it right away.
What can they do with it after all.
The original plan is they'll sell it for the $500 to one of their mechanics to either part out or fix. Who knows what'll actually happen but it's got a lot of valuable parts on it that many of them would probably like.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
*sniff* she's served my family for 21 years and now is gone, and thus ends this story. Hopefully someone treats her to a new transmission, but it will not be me

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
You will never forget that car.
*sniff* she's served my family for 21 years and now is gone, and thus ends this story. Hopefully someone treats her to a new transmission, but it will not be me

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You will never forget that car.
Certainly won't, it was my Dad's car I lusted after as a kid, then finally got in College and kept for 10 years myself. I have a lot of blood sweat and tears into it. Sadly all things must come to an end.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And listed (incorrectly as a T5) on Autotrader...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ode1=V70&digitalRetail=true&clickType=listing

Edit: The free Carfax has it right.
Seems to be gone, you sure it was actually mine? I'd be really surprised if they actually listed the thing...I knew a few guys from the local volvo group that already wanted it and were gonna call them, or one of their mechanics would be absolutely foolish to not buy it and at least part it out for an easy few grand (though I hope not)

I bet their system automatically listed it and then they took it down

1 - 20 of 22 Posts