SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mom just roled in with a 98 V70 XC an almost the first thing i noticed was that it has two muffelers sticking out the back, but the left rear one doenst have an outlet.. whats the deal, can i just go buy a right exhaust muffeler and stick it on the left side and have a dule exhaust or is it a bit more complicated than that??
thanks alot in advance

Ben

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
ipd sells exactly what you are looking for, but the price is $895.00. You might be able to get a custom job done cheaper, I am not sure.

-Drew

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there any way i could just go get the left side muffler and strap it on the right side?? also does anyone know how to get the writing off that says cross country, where in that picture it says XC - R?? is it just a sticker??

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
>>>is there any way i could just go get the left side muffler and strap it on the right side?? also does anyone know how to get the writing off that says cross country, where in that picture it says XC - R?? is it just a sticker?? <<<

***the left side muffler works in tandem with the right side (muffler/resonator) to dampen the sonic signature...you should think of it as a muffler/resonator system rather than dual mufflers. If you get the car up on a lift you will see that the exhaust runs in and out of the left side and over to the right, rather than splitting before the mufflers (like the IPD system does, and like what you see on the stock Accura with dual exhaust--one cat-back pipe splits to two mufflers).

a Volvo mechanic told me about a guy who simply bought another tip (Volvo part) and had a muffler shop punch a hole in the left side "muffer" and weld on the tip. this is not exactly a "tuned" system. the problem is that at a specific RPM you may get a resonance (like a tube 'a tubas) that might be unpleasant. If this happens to occur at cruzing RPMs you will go insane and may not even be aware of what's causing it. I am told the IPD system has this problem. The Volvo factory dual exhaust on the Y2V70R uses mufflers with different internal volumes to cancel out resonant frequency tuning problems. You have to trust the Volvo engineers...no aftermarket company has spent the time and money, nor done the field research necessary to completely debug parts designed to work in harmony (literally) with the whole system. When you buy aftermarket parts, you are the test pilot.

I've read somewhere that your Volvo dealer knows how to remove the (idiotic) "Cross ****ry" decal from the rear of your wagon. I Have you tried a hair dryer? I've removed all the Volvo advertizing from my car...since they haven't sent me a sponsorship check I don't feel the need to post free advertizing for them...besides, it's really a FORD...who's gonna advertize that? And another thing, those nameplates and model designations catch on my chamouis!

I don't want any and every Bozo citizen to know my wagon has "R" performance and value. Let the car theifs think I'm a "family man" who can't afford one of those Ford "Exploders" or the mind-numbingly stupid "Extraditions". Those who notice the particulars and subtile excesses of a real performance car don't need decals and nameplates to signal: "warning: this vehicle subject to sudden bursts of unbelievable acceleration. keep your pink-slips in your wallet."

but i digress...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amen to that man, thanks alot for the replys, how much for that V70 R pipe sent to southern maine 03908??

i have already debadged all of our fam cars including a jetta, 850 R, saab 9000 CD, mazda MPV, and the up and comming XC!

thnx alot for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts