SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if i have to get anything flashed with the ecu if I change the ignition. My dad's key has not been able to turn sometimes for the past few months, and spraying electronics cleaner into the cylinder seems to help for a bit. We have tried oil too but it hasn't helped so I was wondering if I bought one off ebay or at a junk yard if it was plug and play.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reading that it could be the steering lock mechanism breaking.. I'm gonna remove that and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking about it and it looks like I have a bad tumbler because just spraying it with electric cleaner once a month got it through winter. The dealership wants 300, or 325 keyed. I keep reading 150 or 200 for the part on other forums...maybe it's more expensive in long island? I guess it makes sense, everything else is.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If your car doesn't have an immobilizer then any key and cylinder will work swapped in to your car.

This is what an immobilizer box looks like, the black box with the white label that says VOLVO on it, bottom right.

Here's a wide shot of where it's located:

You can basically drop the floor trim and the look up in there with a flashlight, or feel for it. If it's not there your car does not have an immobilizer.

You can also look for the antenna ring around the key slot. Here's a pic of it, if you drop the lower steering column trim and you don't see the gray housing around the key with the green plug going in to it then you have no antenna ring which means no immobilizer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts