SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew the head gasket on my 98 S70 today, debating whether or not to fix it. On average, how many hours does it take to do a volvo head? I have only done honda's in the past. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Depends on how versed you are in Volvo's. Some may remove a head in 2 hours or less, other's it could take all day and being in CT maybe some broken exhaust studs. On average I would say 6-10 hrs. Its not a bad job if there are no surprises.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
Depends on mileage, tools and patience. Not exactly a walk in the park. But, certainly not impossible

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
98 is pretty easy. Just be prepared to buy a few sets of exhaust gaskets. They can be a pain. It's 2 hours to get the head off, maybe 5 to go back the other way if you've done it before. Head bolts are throw away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took about 3 hours to pull the head, found the coolant hose to the head was split open, head and block are trashed. Time to get my s60 on the road I guess!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coolant light came on at about 90 on the highway, followed by the low oil light a few seconds later. Pulled off to the side and turned car off as quickly as possible, probably less than 30 seconds, and had it towed home. Engine had been run hard the last 15+ minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts