SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just started today. Its a 98 S70 GLT. Compressor was changed 4 years ago. AC has always worked great but today for no reason what so ever the AC just stopped.

I opened the hood to see that the compressor wasnt engaged. I checked the main fuses and number 5 10A on the blade type fuses was blown. I replaced it, compressor came on for a couple seconds and blew again. Subsequently I changed the clutch relay, the high and low pressure switches, the ECC and have bypassed the thermal cutout switch as well....Now the ac will run for a solid 3-5 mins but still pops that fuse and quits each time.

I have read the clutch coil might be pulling too much current for some reason. I dont think its clutch gap out of spec as it never had any symptoms related to that. Im at a loss on this, let me know what you think. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Solved. For documentation purposes. It was fuse 11 5/B on the main fuses blowing which runs all emissions, O2 sensors, and ac clutch. It was caused by a failed ptc valve. The heating resistor failed and caused a massive draw on that fuse. Once the compressor kicks on it overloaded the circuit and pops it.

Can be a very common problem when the ptc fails. Hopefully no one else will have to struggle with this diagnosis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts