SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a couple of videos to YouTube this morning, my '98 V70R with a few modifications and the ipd 4T4 turbo:

I shifted a bit late into 4th in the second video, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,436 Posts
That Thing flies.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Impressive ... can we see some pics of actual car?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
06 Vr 6sp, 98 T5V 5sp
580 Posts
Very nice, Im quite jealous of your AWD 5sp car. I've been itching to make my 98 T5M a AWD car for the added grip and handling, I would just need a power bump to compensate for the added 700lbs.

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice, Im quite jealous of your AWD 5sp car. I've been itching to make my 98 T5M a AWD car for the added grip and handling, I would just need a power bump to compensate for the added 700lbs.
Thanks, yeah the AWD is essential to be able to put any power down. The FWD models even with an LSD will spin through the first two gears even with moderate power levels. My car weighs just a touch over 3,700 lbs with a quarter tank of gas and without me in it so that's 450-500 lbs heavier than the fwd cars. I'd gladly substitute some extra weight for the AWD benefit- not only is traction improved under load, but handling is much better with the IRS over the delta link.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Nice! I've been waiting to see this turbo on a P80.

·
Registered
940 Posts
7-8ish seconds from 60-100mph, not bad for that little turbo but holy crap they're expensive!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
7-8ish seconds from 60-100mph, not bad for that little turbo but holy crap they're expensive!
Let me first preface by admitting that my setup and my tune are not a super representation of the potential of the 4T4. Todd Huso's S60R with sleeved/built motor and 4T4 puts out much higher numbers than mine and is far quicker. It's safe to say that the "off-the shelf" tune offered with the 4T4 package for P2R's outperform my car even though I'm running 4 more pounds of boost. I had the opportunity to personally drive several of the prototype 4T4 cars, and while my car is decently quick it isn't even scratching the surface of what this turbo is capable of.

Little compared to what? It flows substantially more than the K24, doesn't have the restrictive hot side of the 20G (another popular upgrade option)thus with better flow up top, and is very comparable to a Garrett GT30 series turbo in terms of flow and power output. So I guess it's all relative. The 4T4 has been run upward of 500 crank hp on a built 850 over in Germany (sorry, no dyno available), so I wouldn't call this turbo little by any stretch.
Remember that this is a ball bearing turbo charger with billet compressor wheel and designed specifically to work with the proprietary Volvo exhaust flange so no modifications are required to fit this to a factory manifold and downpipe.

Anyone who balks at the price isn't really understanding what it takes to bring something like this to the market. Please note, I do NOT work for ipd any longer and I do not represent their company, but from someone who spent many years working there I can tell you that the price of the turbo is a fair representation of the amount of time and money that went into its production. It is not cheap to manufacture a turbo with such a specific target market. Try to find a turbo manufacturer of the pedigree that ipd used for their turbo manufacture to create the molds, tooling, and actually carry out development of a relatively small number of units. It's not easy, and when you consider how much hand work goes into the production of each turbo I don't think ipd is at all out of bounds with their pricing. Trust me, they aren't getting rich on the 4T4. This project was completed to provide a superior bolt-on kit for a very niche market, and from a business perspective I feel it's fair to say that this project was born more from the enthusiast side of ipd than the profiteering side. Sorry if I bristle at the connotation of the turbo being overly expensive, but as a former employee who always had to bite their tongues when people complained of ipd's pricing, I can now freely express my opinion on the topic. I'm not going to defend all of ipd's pricing decisions, but on this particular topic I always will.

There are cheaper alternatives out there for those capable of carrying out the litany of customizations necessary to fit a foreign turbo, but the price makes a whole lot of sense to someone who lacks that skill or initiative and wants a bolt-on solution.

·
Registered
940 Posts
It would have been much more beneficial if they took a garrett or precision turbo and had a downpipe, inlet, oil and coolant lines and wastegate kit. They'd make more power and it would have been less expensive to make a kit that allows you to make a real turbo fit nicely.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Three thoughts after reading this thread:

1) Glad to see you're still around Brandon, and it looks like your R really performs nicely!!!

2) The 4T4 is a really nice turbo upgrade, probably out of my price range, but oh well. My big takeaway is how cool it is that IPD was able to make their own turbo and actually bring it to market. The Volvo community needs more vendors like IPD.

3) The 20G is actually several different turbos - they have the standard 47lb/min compressor wheel and a few different TD05/06 turbines. There are stock size billet compressor wheels and you can upgrade to the "60-1" compressor wheel that will flow 61 lb/min.
A TD05H 20G (Hahn's popular "super 20G) does have a small, 56/49mm hot side that is similar in size to a GT28R turbine. However, a TD06H has a fairly large 67/58mm turbine wheel that will flow plenty of air and is pretty comparable in turbine size to a Garrett GT35R.

At one point in his build, Hussein was running a TD05H hotside and a "60-1" (61 lb/min) compressor wheel - no wonder he had issues with high EBP and EGTs at that point.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
4T4 on a p80 is got to be breath taking. You have got me day-dreaming. 4T4 is not the most affordable solution, but is impressive and a bolt-on. For people like myself who are not as skilled or mechanically inclined, bolt-on solutions are less headaches.

I just want to know. How does a '98 R w/ 4T4 feel compared to the P2R? What kind of power are you making? How is durability or wear/tear on the rest of the car affected by the 4T4?

·
Registered
44 Posts
4T4 on a p80 is got to be breath taking. You have got me day-dreaming. 4T4 is not the most affordable solution, but is impressive and a bolt-on. For people like myself who are not as skilled or mechanically inclined, bolt-on solutions are less headaches.

I just want to know. How does a '98 R w/ 4T4 feel compared to the P2R? What kind of power are you making? How is durability or wear/tear on the rest of the car affected by the 4T4?
I have the same question, this thread has me rethinking my ARD rebuild on my 18T

·
Registered
940 Posts
You'd be better off buying a nice garrett or precision ball bearing turbo and spending the money you saved on some nice fabrication for the downpipe and inlet.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Turdsnack and Cloudkicker- 4T4 is a great choice for the P80 and definitely a big step up from TD04 turbos and K24. There are a still a few modifications necessary in order to fit this turbo onto an P80, notably the drain pipe (the one included with 4T4 is intended for P2R). I had tweak the drain pipe and grind some material off the top of the angle gear in order to get the right fit and drain angle. There would be more room if not for the angle gear, so FWD P80's would have an easier go. Also, you'll need to plumb in an external diverter valve or BOV as there is no internal CBV on the 4T4. These are minor modifications, but something to consider before purchase. The other part of the equation is the tune. I had the luxury of utilizing MTE for my tuning needs when Marco was in Portland last spring. I would say an MTE tune is not a realistic option for post people, as you can't easily data log 4.4, so remote tuning is going to be next to impossible. Marco is rarely in the States, and when he is his time is very limited. You'd probably have much better luck getting a domestic tuner like Beust Tuning etc. to handle the tuning needs, unless you're using TurboTuner or otherwise making your own map.

In regard to comparisons to a P2R, this is a bit silly IMO. It took a LOT of work and money to get my car to the point of being able to handle this turbo, check out my signature below for full break down. I have swapped over an M58 AWD manual gearbox, I have a later RN motor installed, and I have a host of bolt-on modifications that I would consider absolutely necessary for this type of build-
Larger Intercooler
Larger (aluminum) radiator
larger fuel pump (DW300)
larger fuel injectors (ipd/DW 650cc)
larger MAF housing (Audi A8, ~3" ID) REQUIRES tuning for
MSD 6A amplifier (stock ignition is iffy without), although COP conversion would be better solution

My point being, IF you have a P80 with those types of modifications and are looking for a bolt-on turbo then the 4T4 is hands down the best choice, HOWEVER, BMac is correct; One could certainly save some money by going the route of a ball bearing Garrett Turbo or something comparable. The ipd 4T4 is about $2,500 so you'll have to consider if the cost savings is enough to justify/warrant the time, expense and hassle of fitting one of these turbos to your car.

Personally, I don't think you're going to find a turbo quite like the 4T4 in terms of combination of quick spool and tremendous pull up top. People seem to focus only on price, and ignore the fact that the sizing of the turbo was very well thought out by IPD and really works well with the Volvo 5 cylinder motor. There is a reason that Marco Alsterfalk of MTE was quick to anoint this his favorite street turbo for Volvos. Remember, MTE has been at this since the mid '90's and has tuning experience around literally any and every available turbo out there. Sure a Garret may be cheaper, but there simply isn't a Garrett turbo out there that shares the characteristics of this turbo. This is a fully custom turbo, with A/R dimensions and wheel choices carefully considered.

Like I said in one of my posts above, a P2R with a 4T4 will probably out perform my car. My AWD P80 is older, heavier, and has a less sophisticated engine management than the ME7 P2's. That being said, there is something about the feel of a P80, and I personally enjoy my built AWD P80 VR over a P2R any day. It's all personal preference, I guess.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Turdsnack and Cloudkicker- I would say an MTE tune is not a realistic option for post people, as you can't easily data log 4.4, so remote tuning is going to be next to impossible.

My point being, IF you have a P80 with those types of modifications and are looking for a bolt-on turbo then the 4T4 is hands down the best choice, HOWEVER, BMac is correct; One could certainly save some money by going the route of a ball bearing Garrett Turbo or something comparable. The ipd 4T4 is about $2,500 so you'll have to consider if the cost savings is enough to justify/warrant the time, expense and hassle of fitting one of these turbos to your car.

Personally, I don't think you're going to find a turbo quite like the 4T4 in terms of combination of quick spool and tremendous pull up top. People seem to focus only on price, and ignore the fact that the sizing of the turbo was very well thought out by IPD and really works well with the Volvo 5 cylinder motor. There is a reason that Marco Alsterfalk of MTE was quick to anoint this his favorite street turbo for Volvos. Remember, MTE has been at this since the mid '90's and has tuning experience around literally any and every available turbo out there. Sure a Garret may be cheaper, but there simply isn't a Garrett turbo out there that shares the characteristics of this turbo. This is a fully custom turbo, with A/R dimensions and wheel choices carefully considered.
Aaron data logs which is what makes his tunes so good.

As for the turbos, there are PLENTY of Garrett, Precision and BorgWarner turbos that will provide similar and better response as well as better high end power. You just need to read the compressor maps and do some homework.

DOHC (Jim) has a Precision 5830 ball bearing turbo and when he was at my shop for a tune, we had a hard time RESTRICTING boost at low rpm, it just wanted to spool. I'd say his car is 100% perfect street car that makes some serious hp up top without sacrificing any throttle response.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ Thanks for the input, I appreciate your contributions! (I think). The reality is there are lots of different options out there for people looking for turbo upgrades, and hopefully my experiences with the 4T4 can be helpful for people trying do decide what's best for them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts