SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
76,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the fine technician that installed the oil filter on my'98 T5 decided to over tighten, use Loctite and I think I saw a spot weld for good measure.

So my friends, does Volvo have some magical tool to remove these extra large diameter filters? I have the blue one that I used on my '00 V70R and but its too small and even if it fit, there are no grooves on the outside of the '98 filter to get any grip.

I did find a wrench at the local autoparts store that had three prongs that contracted & tightened as you turn but no good. I was tempted to stick a frickn' screw driver through it and attempt to turn it but my luck it still would have been stuck and then I would have been screwed.

My goal is to swing by the dealership in the morning and have them just pop it off for me, drop in my last quart of oil and off I go. Hopefully!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: '98 Oil filter (non-insert) - special wrench? ([email protected])

I use one of the "adjustable" ones where you slip it on an it tightens as you turn it. Worked for me when my mom was lazy and took it to jiffy boob. Idk if that helps

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Re: '98 Oil filter (non-insert) - special wrench? ([email protected])

These always do the trick for me and I use them exclusively on my Volvo's that predate the insert type filter:

Btw, you don't have to get it from IPD...I believe mine came from Pepboys or maybe it was even AutoZone.

·
Administrator
76,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: '98 Oil filter (MadeInJapan)

I have a similar one to that - tough to get a good grip on it due to the oil pan but I did end up slightly crushing two sides but she was not budging one mm.

·
Registered
17,009 Posts
98 and older filter changing tools

/thread

lol

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
I've always used the strap style filter wrench and even if I crushed the filter a little I've never had a problem removing one with it.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: (LloydDobler)

Scared to jam a screw driver through it?

Hell, that's be my dad's method since the 70's!

It will look ridiculous, but grab your wife's yellow dish washing gloves, clean the filter off really well with degreaser, put the glove on your strong hand and give that sucker a good twist.

I'll be damned if you don't get it off, those yellow dish washing gloves are super grippy.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Re: '98 Oil filter (MadeInJapan)

i am also a fan of the tool shown above with the red handle. i had a filter one time that was torqued above 75 ft-lb and it broke a cup-style filter tool that attaches to a ratchet wrench. the red handled tool did dent the filter during removal but it did get it off.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Re: '98 Oil filter (db130)

The Volvo filter is a tight fit for the metal-band oil filter tools, I find. I have a fool-proof filter tool that's a fabric loop attached to square piece of metal with a 1/2" drive at either end. Take up the slack and the harder you turn, the harder it grips. It's never failed me yet. They're cheap, and I think NAPA carries them.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
I've completely shredded filters with the screwdriver method and cut the crap out of my hand. And when that was done all I had left was the flange of the filter stuck right against the block. A hammer and screwdriver used as a chisel did the trick on that, but it was like an hour long ordeal.

Use the strap wrench or pliers.

·
Administrator
76,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (LloydDobler)

The tech used a SnapOn three arm wrench, much more heavy duty than mine, and with a little elbow grease, and a grunt or four broke it loose and off it came. "that was tight"

My occasional lifter tap noise has been pretty quiet since I put in the Mobil 1 5/30 on Sunday. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

+

He also mentioned an option to try: the metal circular strap style, (arm that rotates down 90 degrees) and some low grit sandpaper to provide some grip on the '98 filters.

·
Registered
17,009 Posts
Ehhh I am lazy I let the dealer change my oil lol.

Thats the only thing they do thou .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.