SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a lead on a '99 V70 "leather" (or whatever it is, it's nicer than my '98!) shift knob. All my research which I have sourced from off of this site has indicated that you just yank the knob off and try to not whack yourself in the face. Truth there?

Also, there should be no issue replacing it with a '99 knob right? linkage should be the same too, right?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Chris

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I'm not so sure about that
Linkage is different and the knob may be too

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, not exactly the response I was looking for. Any further confirmation along the lines Jim indicates?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
It's not easy to remove the knob. CJ made a special tool to do it but you can't really just pull up on it. The auto shift knobs come off that way but not the manual ones. The Volvo procedure is to carefully cut the old knob off but most people have devised some other method.

There is a difference between shift knobs on 98 manuals and 99+ manuals but I can't remember if the base of the knobs are somehow different...I think it's the same.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Will, and thanks Jim. Seems like a lot of work to go through just for a cosmetic upgrade, and a lot of uncertainty too. Might just pass this one by.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
There is a leather shift knob that came on 1998s (and it looks much better than the 99+ leather version). I installed this one and there's no doubt it fits 98s. PN: 9183646

IPD sells them or you can get them at the dealers for various prices. I paid 60 bucks for mine but that was years ago.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The later models are much easier to put on and take off, there's a collar inside the shift boot that retains it, so you just flip it inside out and you can see and get to it easily. Once it's removed the knob just pops off. Much better than the semi-permanent knob on the older cars. Plus the knob is compatible with the P2 shifter, not sure if it's the same on the R model but it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
06 Vr 6sp, 98 T5V 5sp
580 Posts
I've taken the shift knob out of my 98 t5M probably three times now and I've removed one from a 95 NA 5sp as well. Altho its been about a year since the last time I've done it so this might not be 100% accurate.

Now I can't remember if I pulled down the shift boot from the shift knob or just turned it inside out and pulled it over the shift knob before prying the knob off. But I do know that using a vice grip and a decent set of pliers to remove the knob works like a charm. You place the vice grip just below the shift knob on the shift lever with just enough room to get the second pair of pliers between the vice grip and bottom of the shift knob. Then by placing the second pair of pliers between the vice grip and shift knob and pulling up you use the leverage to force the knob up and off.

Stolen image from link below:

This link will probably explain it better.
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/inde...836__hl__illusion__fromsearch__1#entry1353836

I know the shift boot is held in place by a plastic ring with four clips that fit into a grove on the shift lever. For that you turn the boot inside out and over the shift knob to gain access then with a lot of patience and some small screwdrivers one can release the clips and lower the boot down to gain more room in removing the shift knob.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey so even though this is demonstrated on an auto, still same process for a manual?

·
Registered
06 Vr 6sp, 98 T5V 5sp
580 Posts
Yes. Even tho the image shows an auto knob I used the same process on my 98T5 5sp and my step fathers 95 850na 5sp.

Worked like a charm.

And now that I think about it I'm sure I released the boot and slid it down as far as possible as to not damage it when prying up on the shift knob.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts