SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home a 98 C70 coupe with a malfunctioning SC-901 stereo head unit. There is an iPod connector coming from behind the dash. I haven't looked to see if it's connected to a GROM or some other brand dongle.

My initial plan was to replace the head unit with a double DIN Android Auto head unit. However, talking to the tech at Crutchfield, he told me the wiring would have to bypass the stock amp. Their local installer quoted me 3 to 4 hours of labor to do the install, so that's likely going to scrub Plan A.

Plan B would be to buy a working used SC-901 and use the added unit and connect it to a 7" Android tablet connected through an adapter cable. I would use a dash mount for the tablet.

I'm not sure but I think that is called "ricey" :rolleyes: and I'm not 100% sure that's how I want to have access to Sirius, nav and voice commands that Android Auto will permit.

Any thoughts or has any of you done something similar?

·
Registered
2004 V70R M66 | 2013 C30 M66 | 1996 855 AW42
529 Posts
Honestly you would have to spend a lot to accomplish what the SC-901 and amp can do. I vote for second option

Reactions: SteveP

·
Registered
19,122 Posts
Replace the 901.

C70 coupe was the worlds first real HiFi car system. Co-developed by Volvo with Dynaudio and Alpine you basically have a quick and comfortable stereo with 4 wheels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts