SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a bit of a jam here. Seems to be my luck that I put off getting my inspection done because I was in need of tires and brakes...now this on my way to get inspected......ugh

So my car stalled several times sitting at idle (wasn't running rough...just stalled). Started up fine. In total, maybe 5 times on my way to work, with no code.

Then the next day, it stalled again. And when I tried to start it up, it was a PITA. And popped this code. Unplugged the MAF, and no problems with stalling. So I thought swap out the MAF and clear the code. Ran good for a few hours, then I stalled again and popped the code.

My next thought is that it may be the signal from the ECU. I have a few 2.3 ECU'S laying around. One from a 94 wagon, and one from a 98t5r wagon. Can I drop either of these in without a problem to diagnose?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In a bit of a jam here. Seems to be my luck that I put off getting my inspection done because I was in need of tires and brakes...now this on my way to get inspected......ugh

So my car stalled several times sitting at idle (wasn't running rough...just stalled). Started up fine. In total, maybe 5 times on my way to work, with no code.

Then the next day, it stalled again. And when I tried to start it up, it was a PITA. And popped this code. Unplugged the MAF, and no problems with stalling. So I thought swap out the MAF and clear the code. Ran good for a few hours, then I stalled again and popped the code.

My next thought is that it may be the signal from the ECU. I have a few 2.3 ECU'S laying around. One from a 94 wagon, and one from a 98t5r wagon. Can I drop either of these in without a problem to diagnose?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Mike

Ok. So I cleaned a bunch of things (IAC valve, throttle body, pretty much every electrical connection I could reach without tearing everything out) seems to be running better....at least enough to limp to 45 miles to work, and 30 miles back to a shop open after 5 to get the inspection done without stalling.

Leave there to go home...poof...Stalled and got the code again. Ugh!

Throw in my bluetooth obd2 scanner in and read the codes to see what's up. Right on the home screen it lists the items that have completed their cycle since the last "DTC clear". Everything says complete (misfire, fuel system, evap, sas, and o2 sensor heater). All but 1.....o2 sensor.

I'm guessing (and correct me if I'm wrong) that one of the sensors is no good and they are reading that the car is running rich and instructing the car to cut fuel. I can't be sure, because I'm not getting an o2 sensor code. However with the loss of fuel, causing the stalling, the MAF is pulling too much air, and throwing this P0103 (MAF high current)

Any thoughts? Which o2 sensor?

Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
Typically Bank 1 sensor checks the mixture, Bank 2 is for efficiency of the cat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, sounds like lambda 1 which is the front one and the one that´s more expensive too IIRC. It would start running rough as the lambda dies. I guess if you connected it to vida, it would show the orange lambda, which means it´s not dead, but there´s a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts