SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am new to the forums and was seeking some advice from some people with Volvo experience since this being my first Volvo. So far I love it got a steal of a deal but one thing that is really getting at me is the sunroof leak, and from what I can tell is a pretty apparent problem with these cars. I had a buddy blow compressed air through the drain holes but I still have a leak. Was wondering if anyone could give me a common diag off where the leak is coming from what the most common problem/solution would be for where it is.
These pics are the front corners of the sunroof. They drip at the rate of about 1 drop every 30 secs or so. It rolls off the interior seal and lands in the seat up front only. If possibly the drains are still clogged and I need to get to the elbow and clean out from there can anyone verify that it would be the same process as this forum post on a xc90 http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...o-Sunroof-drain-repair&highlight=sunroof+leak any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Welcome to Swedespeed, Ryan.

Your '97 S90 is the prime year for Volvo Service Bulletin Number: 59424 (1998) - "The glass hatch may leak between the glass and the metal frame causing the sunroof to leak."

If this is the source of the leak on your car (slow leak fits the diagnosis above) the fix is not cheap and not easy.

First, a brand new Volvo OEM piece of glass is $1,000+ and it may still have imperfections at the edge in the metal frame.

Secondly, parts and labor for a professional and correct install will run many times more than you paid for the car.

Lastly, the only way to completely seal the edges of the glass on your car would be by complete removal of the sunroof.

Try this - source about 12oz of GM Clear Flowable Sealant (very $$$!) then (in a warm, dry garage/workshop) remove the glass, goop on the sealant then re-assemble using new seal(s).

Good luck.

George Dill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Suburban Ninja; I have the same problem and stopped the leak with 3" clear tape. The stuff you can use on the front hood to protect from rock chips and on the door edges etc. I sealed the roof with the tape and its dry inside but i can't open the sunroof. I found after pulling down the front of the headliner that the tray under the glass edges (that collects the water) had come apart letting the water seep into the headliner and down the pillar. One day I'll pull the headliner and try to silicon the tray. Good luck. bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts