SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems recently my 960 in the mornings (or when it hasn't been used for a few hours) is difficult to start. On the first crank it doesn't appear the engine is catching or firing fully. The second crank it fires fully after a few seconds, though not as cleanly as when the car has been run for a short period or later in the day. As far as I can tell, the car runs just fine once it's started. <p>I took it to one shop and they couldn't diagnose the problem. The car has around 126k miles; I got the spark plugs/coil wire done 23k miles back.<p>Any ideas? Fuel pump issue?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: '97 960 doesn't start cold.. (gar598)

Is this the same '97 960 giving you problems back in '02?<p><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=3077" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=3077</A><p>Time to dump the OBD codes?<p>George Dill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, same one. It's held up good for the most part. <p>Are the OBD codes something I can gather myself?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check on the code reader. You think Autozone or a similar place would have a code reader? <p>Is there a way to check to see if it's definitely the check valve?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Re: (gar598)

I think your fuel injector rail has a fitting for connecting a pressure gauge. If so start the car with the gauge connected, note the pressure reading. Now shut down the engine and watch the fuel pressure, it should remain the same for hours. If it drops one reason could be the check valve.<p>Another way: After the car has been sitting for a long time, turn the ignition on but don't start it. You should hear the fuel pump run for about 5 seconds. Turn the ignition off. after doing this two or three times then try starting the engine. If it starts normally, it's your check valve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts