SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I installed new poly upper and firewall mounts the other night as well as the trans torque mount. To test out the mounts I gave the car some hard acceleration a few times and the car started missing. It felt like the power just fell out. Got a CEL and pulled cyl 4 misfire and random misfire.

Probably just a tune up right? Picked up plugs, wires, dist cap, and rotor to install tonight.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Soooo much better. Car runs great. Easy installs too.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I always thought it was weird that such a modern car was using cap and rotors. That said, it sure is simple and no coil packs to worry about blowing up. I've had enough of fragile, modern ignition systems... cap and rotors worked great for years. It's the main reason I'm looking at 850s and 98 V70s for that reason.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, I had a 98 Audi A4 and the coils were always causing issues, come to think of it the whole fuel system was terrible. Plus one coil pack is as much as the cap, rotor, and plugs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
yep. I had an Audi S6 (The turbo 5 one) and the previous owner replaced the original Coilpack system with a modern VW Coil pack system... you can imagine how that turned out. I replaced THAT with Corvette LS2 coils... one of those failed and I switched over to LS9 coils.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, new issue. I did the tune up and have now developed the P0172 code. Which is commonly the intake mani vacuum elbow. Is this the same elbow that is part of the PCV kit? If so mine is new. The code comes up randomly and the car idles a little rough.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the problem. 2 Vac lines had come off, I replaced them with some extra silicon hose I had, they look and work great now.

On another note, the PCV hose that connects to the top of the valve cover blew up on me the other day (it tore right under where the clamp holds it to the valve cover). I replaced the PCV last July and cleaned everything out then. Also I bought a replacement hose from the dealer and the hose quality is much better than the one that came with my ipd kit, not to mention the whole hose to the flame trap was one piece from the dealer, where the kit version was two pieces, not glued together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts