SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I just picked up a 2nd 850R as a fun project car.

My daily driver is a 97 855R - about 130k miles. It's been in the family since the car was less than a year old. I acquired it about 3 years ago, after asking my Dad about it a few times. Had to wait him out. It sat for awhile, and as a result, I had to do a lot of maintenance. I started with the PCV and worked through things like brakes, etc and then earlier this year, I got a CEL that wouldn't go away - burned an exhaust valve on Cyl 4. Pulled a head from a donor car, took it to the machine shop to be rebuilt, and swapped it in. I really enjoyed it, but one thing the project taught me was that I needed a spare car, because not every project is something you can do in your driveway in a couple hours.

So, I looked around, and looked at a few cars, and finally settled on another 97 850R, this time, a 854. It has about 240K and truthfully needs just about everything.

Both my Rs are white, with tan interior. I really like that combination. I know I'm probably in the minority on the tan interior, but so is life.

The 854 was cheap, because the engine is on its last legs. It has a very significant rod knock, and compression throughout is not good.

So, I'm searching out a donor engine. I think I'd like to got the RN route, as those cars are a little newer and will in many cases have less miles.

But, I'm not having much luck figuring out what cars are the best fit to pull the engine from. I looked at a 2001 V70 XC as well as a 2004 V70 today. Both were turbo cars with an RN engine. But I know they are not the same RN engine.

I am planning on going mostly stock for now, but would like a little head room, in case I decide I want to add a few HP. The 854 already has a 16G on it. I realize with the stock 628 ECM, the car isn't really seeing any advantage with that over the 15 that came on the car originally. That's just what the previous owner had installed.

So, if anyone could provide links or explanation on how I decide which engine is best, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for not calling me a Noob and telling me to just 'crush it' - I *am* new to this area, but I won't be for long :)

·
Registered
13,960 Posts
Nice project car!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered an engine. Was not having much luck finding a low mileage engine in the local boneyards, and it's getting cold, so I'm shipping one in.

I bought a B5234T9 from an 03 C70 with 129k miles. That's a HPT RN engine.

My goal is to have it ready to drop in in the spring. Still have a pretty decent investment ahead of me in timing, water pump, PCV, etc before I'm even ready to drop it in the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts