SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel, water and tach stopped working on my '97 850 wagon. I dont see any other controls/functions that appear to be non functional.

This car stays parked in the driveway and no work has been done on it.

An internet search brought something up about swapping relays in the fuse box, or possibly the micro gone bad, or try wiggling the ignition key.

Any common failures for this symptom?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
That's pretty weird.

If you can't figure it out, try swapping consoles. You can swap the console in the car in less than an hour. If the new console works, you can also swap the odometer in it, so you retain your old mileage. Look up the walkthrough for replacing the odometer gear; that will show you how to swap both the console and the odometer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also looks like the outside temperature display isnt working either (no display). The gauges are at their "power off" positions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looking through an electrical wiring diagram, it looks like the only common factor is fuse 11/14, although I've read that it may feed through some relay (not sure if thats for my model/year though). Other than that it would seem to be either a bad multi-pin connection or a bad gauge cluster. Not sure if I have the strength any longer to go through a panel replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like its relay 2/31 according to the cluster diagram but I cant find any other reference to that relay or where it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also noticed that the LCD clock would reset every time the key was turned on.

I swapped the '97 #9442045 cluster with what was marked as a '92 (or '94) #9128092 cluster and the instruments are now working :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
These cars basically have two clusters, VDO and Yazzi. The VDO cluster has the trip above the total mileage and the Yazzi has them swapped. If you don't have a trip computer there isn't much difference.

I actually started having problems with my gauges. Sometimes they would work, sometime not. My problem was that the wire harness was weighing on the top connector and cause the wires on top of the connectors to break. That caused a lack of power to get to certain things and I had to cut a harness from a car in the junk yard and splice it together. Now my trip computer doesn't work so I have to go back in there to figure that out. Maybe a poor splice in there. :facepalm:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts