SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 1996 960 sedan that I like and want to buy. From what I see on this site, 130,000 miles on a Volvo is just broken in. Is there anything in a 1996 960 that I should be concerned about or look at ??<br>Thanks, JOHN

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 960 milage (sgtdantona)

John;<p>No problems with this year/model as my '96 960 wagon is rolling just fine at nearly 200k.<p>Take the usual precautuions - rust, collision damage, abuse, stolen, flooded, etc.<p>Then buy it and post some pics on Swedespeed while we shop for new-owner goodies!<p>George Dill<br>

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

I have a 96 965 with now little over 130,000 on it. Nothing really is more so a problem then any other Volvo. Keep up on teh oil and service and your golden. The 960 thou does have a nice habit of teh auto climate control being bizzar at times. Unless you get a really good mech that knows them you will never have WORKING A/C nor heat at the right times. Nor the right Vent Modes. Mine work great now but it took a week and some $$$ to get that. Water blend valve/recirc-duct bellows/ rebuilt electro-vac select switch. Also the electric seats and there cables are prone to take a powder. But that is an easy fix for a little $ and time.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I have a '94 964 (960 Sedan) with 180K and a '94 965 (960 wagon) with 140K. Both are very reliable. Here are a list of things I have found that you should know about when buy a just broken in 960.<p>- Have the tranny fluid flushed / changed. The tranny tends to run hot, and the "lifetime" fluid does wear out after 100K miles. Valvoline Instant Oil Change and other places do it for around $100 with a system that exchanges all of the tranny fluid. On my 964, it made the car feel like it had a new tranny.<p>- Sticking lifters are a known problem that can be cured with a good engine flush and regular oil changes at 3K intervals.<p>- The rear engine seals of the staright 6 in the 960s (and the I5s of the 850s) tend to start leaking at over 150K miles without warning. Them may be fine one day and leak the next. The leaks are usually very small, and the seal conditioner oil additives can help if there is a leak, but the only real solution is to pull the tranny and replace the seals. The only comfort here is that it is less work to pull the tranny from a 960 then an 850.<p>- The I6 in the early cars really likes to be blown out once in a while. The valves (and/or valve guides) get dirty, and the car starts running poorly. The best way to solve the problem is to run the car at > 5000rpms for a few minutes. Remember, the engine was designed by Porsche, and if you treat the engine like it is a Porsche, it loves it.<p>Two days after I bought the 964 last year, I was out AutoXing it. It was amazing how much better it ran after the autocross then before it.<p><br>- John

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: 960 milage (jwernerny)

Yup mine as well. I change the oil a few times before i really got on it hard so it was cleaned out a bit in the lifter dept. But yes Get on it and drive it like you stole it and it LOVES it. Driving them like a grandma or grandpa is NOT the way they live a long life. I am thou NOT a fan of the 5000 RPM sitting in the driveway fix. The take it out on teh freeway or highway thou and honk on it is my idea of fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts