SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know its like beating a dead horse when it comes to the N/A 850s and performance.....trust me boosters, I know! Anywho, I bought a black 5 speed 850 sedan a year ago with 70K on it and now it has 90K. I charged the A/C, changed the brake pads, spark plugs and windshield wipers when I got it (recently put a S70 CD player in it!). I haven't had ANY problems with it and it runs through the 5 gears sooo smoothly.

So..I merely wanted to ask everyone/anyone who has changed ONLY the muffler in the midsection of the car with various brands of mufflers as to which one sounds the most aggressive and actually increases drivability a little. It is STUPID to spill $500-$600 on a cat back from RICA or Eurosporttuning just to free up a couple of ponies. And a cold air intake would almost be unnecessary. The best thing I learned from my dad about cars and many mechanics is "If it's not broken, don't fix it". So instead of putting on a cat back, CAI and ECU for tons of $, I wanted to execute cheap, educated purchases for the power free-ups so I don't spend too much money and get the best results. Feel me?

This is whats in mind....

Keep the OEM box and purchase a K&N filter, and purchase a more free flowing muffler that pronounces the 5 cylinder and frees up some ponies, all at the same time spending minimal cash.

To tell yall the truth, I couldn't find a manual turbo model of any year range out of 4 years of looking. So I found this N/A in New Jersey (I'm in Pensacola, Fl) that I had shipped down because I think automatic cars are unbelievably boring to drive. (especially if its a turbo!)

Future plans....

When I graduate from my university next year, I will purchase a 850 turbo wagon and use my current 5 speed for all of the neccessary transmission swap parts. Ultimately ending up with a 5 speed turbo wagon (my dream car, just can't find em'!)

So if anyone has any suggestions as to what brand/series/model muffler sounds aggressive when you get on it, but smooth when cruising I'd really appreciate it. Hell, I just love the sound of the perfect 5 cylinder. And yes, this is a case of the Honda dude syndrome, I just want to hear my damn car!!

For all the forced induction guys...don't comment unless you wanna help. I see you guys get aggressive with us N/A guys!!! Just a DD that gets me and my son around.

Thanks,

CHEERS

http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif +
=

+ http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif =

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Re: 96' Volvo 850 exhaust suggestions (tdrewS90)

Quote, originally posted by tdrewS90 »
To tell yall the truth, I couldn't find a manual turbo model of any year range out of 4 years of looking...

u'll have to look north of the border for manual turbos. only manual turbo from this chassis in america is the 98+ s/v70 turbo

Quote, originally posted by tdrewS90 »
...I will purchase a 850 turbo wagon and use my current 5 speed for all of the neccessary transmission swap parts. Ultimately ending up with a 5 speed turbo wagon (my dream car, just can't find em'!)

quite a few ppl have done this and never looked back
, there should be plenty of threads with manual swaps. gl!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.