SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,...I'm considering a near mint condition 850 turbo wagon, its platinum in color but that doesn't mean its a platinum edition. Its crazy clean 2 owner, power/ heated/ leather everything. 176 k on the od.
Clean carfax, service has always been ontime, correct & up to date.
$3500. Obo,...my only hesitation is its an automatic, and I believe its fwd.
My 2 previous volvo's (including my current daily driver) 240 rwd.
Any advice, I'm not real up on the 850 wagon , except I know she's beautiful,
Rich

Registered
It's FWD indeed. As for the automatic gearbox, I'd call it more troublesome than a manual but if it's behaving all right I guess you should be good. I think the rest of the car sounds good enough to gamble :p

$3500 sounds a tad too much for those miles to me but given that it's got a full history I think it's good if you can negotiate a hundred or so dollars off.

I'm not sure if it's a strictly scientific test but I'd check the error codes too, on the blinky thingy under the bonnet (a diagnostic unit that blinks the codes, not sure how it works). If there are any, disconnect the battery for 15-20 minutes or so and they should be reset. If any of them reappear after a longer test drive I'd look them up.

Registered
A '96 should have an OBD ll port for close reading.
Out of curiosity: do they still have the diagnostic flashing lights unit under the bonnet? If so, couldn't it be used to indicate whether there are error codes stored or not? Seems like a simpler way to find out as I'm guessing most people don't have OBD II-readers and even fewer have proper VIDA ones (not sure if required for a 1996 Volvo though but definitely more useful on later models)

Registered
I have a 96 Platinum. It has an obd port in the center console hidden under the coin holder. No under hood reader.

OP: for that money, it should have plenty of documentation and fresh PCV, timing belt, etc. Sounds a little rich, but if it's pristine and everything's up to date, might be worth it. Mine has 238k and has been fine to date with proper maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts