SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!<p>My perfectly well-behaved R has thrown the dreaded "upshift" light. It turns out that the previously owner already replaced the PNP switch, and it does look brand new!<p>I have plugged it into an OBD II scantool to no avail. It shows no faults, and the car behaves like nothing is wrong.<p>This is the second time the "upshift" light has come on and the first mysteriously cleared itself! Both times the car was on the interstate but NOT being abused!<p>I wish it was a 95 with the cool diagnostic port!<p>Thanks in advance!<p><br>THE QUESTION: What would cause the light without it storing in the ECU? Am i looking in the wrong place for the code?! <p>Also note that the light is flashing before the car is even started.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 96 850r with flashing "upshift" light: not your typical noob question... (Hondamanlxi)

If it has a new PNP switch <B>AND IT'S ALIGNED properly</B><br>you may be fubared (new tranny time).<br><B>I would have that PNP switch install checked</B><p>It's<I> possible,</I> not all that probable that your ABS unit is causing this as they are tied.<br>That is a stretch and a long one, but anything is possible

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would have the codes read and have the PNP switch as JRL mentioned checked out. And the flashing up arrow is dealing specifically with the tranny. I would try pulling the trans computer and then put it back in and see if that clears anything up and if not pnp would be my guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the transmisison oil is too hot, the arrow could flash. What other symptoms did you have before this ? Check that the ATF is routed to the radiator and your cooling system is spot-on : Good fan speed, proper coolant, working thermostat, etc. <p>If you know how to remove the ATF dipstick, see if there are sludges as coolant can enter into the gearbox since the ATF pipes are submerged in coolant. Note that ATF pressure is not too high and checking the coolant at the reservoir for oil might not yield any signs of leakage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts