SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After countless hours/weeks of research on suspension systems for my wagon, I finally decided on the KONI FSD/Eibach Kit. Install was a breeze. I used this kit to eliminate the Nivomats and springs in the rear and of course the original suspension up front. My car has 147.XXX and all was original. Of course I replaced all necessary hardware as well.

Let me tell you, the extra money for this kit was worth every penny. The drop is perfect and the stance I feel the 850 R should have been from new. The ride is phenominal. I drive crappy concrete highways on my daily commute to work, and before every expansion joint rattled the car. Now, it rides smoother than my wife's Sienna.

I have a long history with VWs (I work for VW as well) and had always installed Bilstein Sports with H&R springs and LOVED it in every car. But my research in teh Volvo world research showed this was not a good option for this car. I had reservations about a different setup, but I could not be happier.

I will try to post pictures soon.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
What did this setup run you? I'm interested in doing my 855r. Thanks.
Dan

·
Registered
7,612 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LloydDobler, you are correct. That is where I got my set from, TireRack. But, don't forget to factor in strut tops and bearings, bump stops and boots, and bump stops and shock mounts for the rear. Also, I got the cambers bolts as well. Everything was worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ordered this today from TireRack, $778 plus shipping

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will not regret it! Almost 10k miles, and I still could not be happier!

I'm sure you know this, but get OEM strut tops, bearing plates, rear upper mounts, bump stops all around. You will notice a drastic change (for the better) in your car.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You will not regret it! Almost 10k miles, and I still could not be happier!

I'm sure you know this, but get OEM strut tops, bearing plates, rear upper mounts, bump stops all around. You will notice a drastic change (for the better) in your car.
Nice, thanks. I blindly ordered this stuff, I'll have to see what I grabbed. Did the non-Nivo rear upper mounts as well but not sure about bump stops.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Good choice Denton. Had I known you were looking I would've invited you to drive my car. And for what it's worth..I left the Nivomat tops in the rear. Seems to be working fine. Not sure what the difference is.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I left the rear Nivomat upper mounts as well. I had replaced them just a few months prior to the suspension overhaul, so I just left them. I, too, do not have a problem with them. Does anyone know what the difference is...besides part numbers?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'll update this thread, having an issue with the front struts and I don't think it's Koni's fault. I'm having a knocking from the front left over dips and larger bumps now, I think it's blown and bottoming out. There were NO BUMP STOPS installed by the tech who did the job so worried that it toasted the front struts. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you replace the upper spring seats? If you put a 21mm wrench on the top nut of the strut and try to turn it c/w it shouldn't go. If it spins, they're shot.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It's your seats. Until you get it fixed, wrap a rope around there to take up the slack of moving parts. This will make the knocks go away until it's fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
What did this end up being?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What did this end up being?
Ugh, not fixed due to time, money, and laziness...it's a third car. 1999 M3 has blown the budget to pieces. Do want to get the Volvo settled within the month and will update.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So what bumpstops do you use on the fronts?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used factory/OEM.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do you get a creak when you turn the wheel when the car is stationary?

If not, it's probably your endlinks rather than spring seats. Take the endlinks off and go for a quick drive. No noise= you need new links

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Not sure but I have new end links going on tomorrow, we shall see. Thanks for the comment

1 - 20 of 20 Posts