SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contemplating grabbing some parts of an R that is in the yard near me. Haven't found much info on the '96 GLT suspension, but I assume that the R springs are a bit lower and stiffer? Worth the grab? Found some numbers on sway bars, but there didn't seem to be enough difference on the stock stuff to make it worth the effort to pull them.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess, continuing this thread with questions.

What about the springs on a '96 Turbo (non-R) model? The front wheels are stuck on the R in the yard (wheel locks, no key...), but a '96 Turbo just appeared, with easy access to the suspension. My GLT is going to need struts/shocks in the near future, so I figured I'd "upgrade" if I can get the parts.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The r springs are a little bit lower and a tad stiffer yes. also what you can get from the r is the rear sway bar which will help your rear tracking A LOT if you dont already have one. If you want to keep a comfortable ride with a slightly lower and stiffer spring yes its worth grabbing at the right price of course.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Springs are different between the R and non R models, but the difference is so minor that it would be a waste of time and money IMO to pull the R springs, pay for them, and reinstall in your car. Money would be better spent on a set of aftermarket springs, like H&R, etc. If you aren't looking for a drop in ride height and only want a minor upgrade in spring rate, then the R springs would be a good choice. As shelby said, the rear sway bar would be a better upgrade, as long as you don't overpay for it. Also, consider the cost of the junkyard swaybar vs. iPd sways (which offer a much more significant and noticeable improvement in handling).

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Springs are different between the R and non R models, but the difference is so minor that it would be a waste of time and money IMO to pull the R springs, pay for them, and reinstall in your car. Money would be better spent on a set of aftermarket springs, like H&R, etc. If you aren't looking for a drop in ride height and only want a minor upgrade in spring rate, then the R springs would be a good choice. As shelby said, the rear sway bar would be a better upgrade, as long as you don't overpay for it. Also, consider the cost of the junkyard swaybar vs. iPd sways (which offer a much more significant and noticeable improvement in handling).
Thanks for that info. My initial question was regarding the non-Turbo 96 GLT springs. When comparing the springs between the 850R and the 850 Turbo (evidently also a Platinum car), the springs appeared to be "the same". Just wasn't sure if they would be different from the springs on my non-Turbo GLT.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks for that info. My initial question was regarding the non-Turbo 96 GLT springs. When comparing the springs between the 850R and the 850 Turbo (evidently also a Platinum car), the springs appeared to be "the same". Just wasn't sure if they would be different from the springs on my non-Turbo GLT.
The R springs look nearly identical to the non-R springs. I think the ride height difference is only 30mm between the two springs.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have been curious about this as well. I drive a 1994 850 Turbo wagon and it rides nowhere near as nice as my father's 1997 850 R
If you are talking about ride quality and not handling, I would attribute that to differences in age or brand of struts/shocks. Are both cars running OEM struts and shocks of the same age and mileage?

·
Registered
198 Posts
R springs are definitely an upgrade, albeit small depending on your goals. I ran IPD blues for a few months, and in the mean time sold my R springs. Couldn't take the terrible ride on my DD, so I reverted back to stock (standard junkyard springs). I can tell you I've never felt the car squat that much under acceleration.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, this car is just a driver. It's a manual, but still not a turbo. The car will need struts/shock soon, so I figured while i was in there, I'd "upgrade" the springs a bit.

I wish the car was turbo, but I may replace this car later with a turbo version (Or do an engine swap, even though it appears no one does that).

I have the 240 to *play* with. Just wished this car had more power.

·
Registered
628 Posts
R springs are definitely an upgrade, albeit small depending on your goals. I ran IPD blues for a few months, and in the mean time sold my R springs. Couldn't take the terrible ride on my DD, so I reverted back to stock (standard junkyard springs). I can tell you I've never felt the car squat that much under acceleration.
I need to do the same thing. I hate how my iPd blues ride. I've had H&R in the past and those provided a much nicer ride. It's on my to do list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts