SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://youtu.be/cv7Zzu9lnDU

8/10/19 Straight Pipe (w/ Cat) + IPD Filter

Low results... The dyno they use is an AWD Superflow WinDyn "Heartbreaker" style dyno (usually reads around 20% lower than a dynojet) that reads WHP. Put down a pretty terrible 61.6 WHP at 6000 rpm and 65 ft/lbs between 2500-5000 rpm. What I didn't know going in was that you are meant to run the car around for a while or warm it up on the dyno prior to making pulls. (Coolant was up to temp, but oil and transmission fluid weren't, increasing losses) Engine has good compression (around 190 psi on each cylinder), new-ish plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor, etc. I'm going to do a full stage zero and put a muffler back on it. (Thinking the cat-only exhaust system may be a detriment to exhaust scavenging)
Any other ideas tune up wise as to the cause of the low output?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
https://youtu.be/cv7Zzu9lnDU

8/10/19 Straight Pipe (w/ Cat) + IPD Filter

Low results... The dyno they use is an AWD Superflow WinDyn "Heartbreaker" style dyno (usually reads around 20% lower than a dynojet) that reads WHP. Put down a pretty terrible 61.6 WHP at 6000 rpm and 65 ft/lbs between 2500-5000 rpm. What I didn't know going in was that you are meant to run the car around for a while or warm it up on the dyno prior to making pulls. (Coolant was up to temp, but oil and transmission fluid weren't, increasing losses) Engine has good compression (around 190 psi on each cylinder), new-ish plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor, etc. I'm going to do a full stage zero and put a muffler back on it. (Thinking the cat-only exhaust system may be a detriment to exhaust scavenging)
Any other ideas tune up wise as to the cause of the low output?
I had a built P2 NA and was over 160-170 WHP (butt dyno proven....200ish crank easily). 2.5" cat-back straight pipe, build head with cams, oversized intake valves, ported and polished and a port matched intake. Increasing the power is about airflow through the motor. Back pressure is a myth. If you open up your intake and get more air into the motor youll get more power from it. The computers even on the 850 can adapt fairly well. Maybe even swap in an early model GLT ecu as i think those had a better tune over the base model NA. These motors can take a bit of work to get any power out of them but the NA is such a pleasant drive once its worked up.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Jeeez, I went to the bathroom and came back before you hit max rpm lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
I don’t think your numbers mean anything relevant.

The rev out in the video is absurdly slow, was this done in overdrive with the torque converter locked up?

In the real world if it’s slow over 40 that’s normal.

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I don’t think your numbers mean anything relevant.

The rev out in the video is absurdly slow, was this done in overdrive with the torque converter locked up?

In the real world if it’s slow over 40 that’s normal.
It should get to 100 alright; just can't be afraid to downshift as much as possible and redline it. Pretty hopeless once you're out of 3rd though.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It should get to 100 alright; just can't be afraid to downshift as much as possible and redline it. Pretty hopeless once you're out of 3rd though.
3rd is the best gear in NAs. Especially at higher speeds it can be fun. My cousin's '98 V70 M56 with 260k miles it still ridiculously fun, albeit slow as molasses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts