SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm a certified petrol head from Toronto now living in Tokyo for 15 years now. I have bought and sold/ imported and exported, repaired and stripped so many cars.
I've been a Porsche and Benz fan forever. One of my long term associates have had a rust free 1995 Volvo 950 Estate Canadian specs, 120,000km black on blk/gry leather interior,
languish on their lot for about 10 years. They finally gave up and offered it to me. I really don't need it and have no space for it but I can't turn down a good car in need.
So far I replace s 2 front tyres which were cracked badly, a broken front right corner light, noisy ac compressor bearing, most-diagnosed power steering pump, over filled engine oil.
Next timing belt, water pump and associated roller bearings, change the transmission, diff and brake fluids. Eventually brake hoses, pads and engine splash guard.
Am I missing anything?
It won't replace my Benz W210 E55 wagon, so I plan to send it to Toronto or try to find it a good home.

Let me know if anyone here is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Timing marks

Happy New Year and all the best for 2016.
I did the timing belt and noticed the marks did not line up completely perfectly before and after. I moved the intake cam back a bit to tension the belt and now it appears to be the same as before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Happy New Year. I did the timing belt and water pump. Does this look right?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Happy New Year. I did the timing belt and water pump. Does this look right?

It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo. The gear on the right appears ½ tooth off. Did the marks on the crank line up?

DEWFPO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. Thanks for your reply. The crank and left/exhaust cam line up perfectly. If I do 1 engine rotation they all line up. 2 rotations and it's back to 1/2 tooth off. I haven't started it yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I rotated the engine and started it. It ran quite poorly. Is there an easy way to move 1 cam tooth? On the MK1," Golfs, Porsche 944s and 928s one can loosen the tensioner and adjust. Is there any trick on the 960? Also I cant find the fuel filter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Line up all the timing marks, back off the tensioner and try to rotate the gear that's out of position.

The fuel filter is under the car below the driver's seat.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. How do I back off the tensioner? Loosen one of the bolts? I don't see any place I can apply leverage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The are is located about 1hour west of central Tokyo in Iruma. I hope to get $4000usd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I final got to look at the timing in the day time. Setting the timing with a flash light at 0 degree C outside is not the best method. I managed to have daylight and instead of putting in the tensioner then sliding on the belt, it worked a treat to install the belt, and slide the tensioner under. No movement on the belts or cam position.
Next, brake hoses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally got it sorted. My friends thought the timing was out because it barely ran. Turns out I incorrectly swapped #4 and 5 and coil packs. Someone really should have marked them.

I'll take it home this week for a proper bath and brake hoses and fuel filter. Then she is officially up for sale.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I drove it home last night. It drove so well. Ride very similar to my previous W210 E320. Very smooth shifting, I found the steering a bit overboosted on tight corners. Guess the ps fluid need a change. Other issues the drivers window goes down well but stops going up, AC inop, driver side view mirror glass fell off, driver seat heater inop, upper door trim shrink, rear bumper paint touch up, and a good bath.
It has been sitting outside for years. It's interior has held up better than the Mercedes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just did the brake hoses. All except 1 came off easily. The right rear I had to take to my friends shop where he used a grinder to expertly take down the hose head to the threads, not touching the line nut thread. Now I have all new brake hoses. Then changed atf exactly 2.5 liters came and went back in. Discovered an oil leak from the engine oil drain plug. Should have changed the washer I guess. Got new wipers today. Time permitting diff oil change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wasted 5 day holiday working on the Volvo. I was getting power to the seat heaters, then suddenly it stopped. Front rotors are 25mm. 1 headlamp wiper is missing and rear washer is plugged. Yesterday touched up some paint on the bumpers and compounded and washed the paint twice before waxing it. There is some tree sap on but that will have to wait.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts