SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1993 940 n/a. I must have over tightened the oil filter last time I changed the oil because now it won't come off. I never use the filter wrench to tighten new filters so I don't have a clue how this happened. To make things worse I managed to crush and tear holes in the filter with some channel locks. It's wedged between the exhaust manifold, a motor mount, and the power-steering pump so there's no room to get to it. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it off?

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
I've got a 1993 940 n/a. I must have over tightened the oil filter last time I changed the oil because now it won't come off. I never use the filter wrench to tighten new filters so I don't have a clue how this happened. To make things worse I managed to crush and tear holes in the filter with some channel locks. It's wedged between the exhaust manifold, a motor mount, and the power-steering pump so there's no room to get to it. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it off?
Just read through this mess...

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=690544&show_all=1

...but didn't see any way to get 'er done without removing one or more components then crawling safely under the car.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
When I had that problem with a 960 I tore all of the filter away with needle nose pliers, took 2 small tip screw drivers and put them in opposite holes in the filters and took a small pipe wrench and hooked it through the screw drivers. Then I turned the filter off with that force. Took about 40 minutes to figure that out and get it off but it came off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts