SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '94 850 coupe that suddenly stopped running. Spark looks good, timing belt good, cap and rotor good, --> problem seems to be fuel.<p>How does one generally hook up a fuel pressure gauge on this car? I have such a European gauge for use with Bosch systems, as well as the adaptors, but don't see anywhere it can easily be inserted. There is a schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail but it doesn't seem to have a metric thread.<p>Symptoms: if I pinch the return line from the fuel pressure regulator, the engine almost catches, you can here a little firing and it cranks faster. If I bleed the schrader valve, I only get like a weak one-second squirt - doesn't subjectively feel like there's 3 - 5 bar there. If I clamp the return line, the squirt is a little better but still not much.<p>So how does one measure the pressure?<p>Cheers,<p>Kevin

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Re: 94 850 - measuring fuel pressure (KevinGross)

Torn the key to KOEO and let the pump prime. Go to the engine compartment with a rag and release the schrader valve. It should dump enough fuel to soak the rag pretty good.<p>Are you saying that the FP gauge wont screw on the schrader valve?<p>My gues is that your FP regulator is shot, You can take the insert out of the schrader valve and wormclamp a small piece of fuel hose to the shcrader and the testor and turn the key to KOEO. You should get right at 40 lbs of pressure.<p>Hope that helps<p>Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 94 850 - measuring fuel pressure (yellow95)

Gary,<p>Thanks for the reply. Yes, my FP gauge set doesn't have a fitting for the schrader valve. What worked, though, was simply to take a length of 3/8" fuel hose, remove the valve core, and clamp the hose to it with a 13 mm. Norma clamp (ie, solid metal band clamp).<p>Problem turned out to be a marginal coil, fuel pressure was fine. The coil impedences measured correct, it made a spark when I cranked with a plug out of its socket. Swap in another car's coil, and the engine runs. Coils are annoying!<p>Kevin

·
Registered
636 Posts
So can your fuel pump if it is intermitant and going bad. You may want to check into that as well. Bosch fuel pressure regulators are perty bullet proof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts