SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 940 has about 150 K miles and I have only had it for a few months. So far, it runs great. However, I noticed a very subtle noise as the car started this morning. It was a faint noise, but sounded like a dentist drill in pitch as the engine was turning. At idle, I don't think I can quite hear it. When I accelerate, the noise gets louder and the high-pitch- (though faint) -drill noise gets a little higher and more pronounced the more I accelerate. I don't believe there is a decrease in my performance. My car has just over 150,000 miles and in pretty much every respect it seems to be well maintained and taken care of. Does anyone know what I am talking about? There is clearly a new noise I am hearing, though it is faint at this point. Is this a sign of a turbo going bad? Or is it likely that the noise is not related to the turbo? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
First you have to locate the noise. Get a mechanic's stethoscope (they aren't expensive - $15.00 (+/-) ) and start probing around the engine and transmission. When you find the location of the noise report back so we (i.e. George :p ) can suggest repairs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you George and John for the advice. It kind of seems like the second link George posted may be describing just what I am experiencing. I will get back with you as I learn more....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My brother seems to be convinced that the strange high pitch drilling noise is coming from the front left speaker even though radio is turned off. I have to agree with him at this point as the noise sure does seem to be localized to that area. Not sure if there is ever a short in the speakers or something.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
OK, if it is the LF speaker, what else electric is in the door ... remote or key electric locks, power windows, anything else in a 940 that has a motor or actuator? If you got a stethoscope, probe around the door inside and out and see what you get.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
My 940 has about 150 K miles and I have only had it for a few months. So far, it runs great. However, I noticed a very subtle noise as the car started this morning. It was a faint noise, but sounded like a dentist drill in pitch as the engine was turning. At idle, I don't think I can quite hear it. When I accelerate, the noise gets louder and the high-pitch- (though faint) -drill noise gets a little higher and more pronounced the more I accelerate. I don't believe there is a decrease in my performance. My car has just over 150,000 miles and in pretty much every respect it seems to be well maintained and taken care of. Does anyone know what I am talking about? There is clearly a new noise I am hearing, though it is faint at this point. Is this a sign of a turbo going bad? Or is it likely that the noise is not related to the turbo? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Drive the car and confirm the noise is still evident then pull the fuse(s) for the speakers (or just the wires at the fuse block) and drive again.

George Dill

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got that drilling sound a month ago (220k km), it was the sealing of the exhaust manifold.
It was not noticeable on performance.
But it did not sounded nice. The more accelaration the louder it gets.
Does the noice get louder when you drive in a narrow street with a wall of buildings.......???
Then it wil not be the speaker but a sealing (we cal it a packing) in the exhaust.

I dont think it is the speaker. But hey, i am here and you are there. So i can't be shure.
When the speaker, for instance the screw is touching the frame , it will sound more like a zzzzzzzz, that wil also get louder when you accelate.

Grtz man

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have pin pointed the sound. It is in fact coming from the front left speaker in the door and not on the dash. As i accelerated and the noise got louder, I was able to wedge my hand in between door speaker and the dash and the noise got quieter momentarily.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
I have pin pointed the sound. It is in fact coming from the front left speaker in the door and not on the dash. As i accelerated and the noise got louder, I was able to wedge my hand in between door speaker and the dash and the noise got quieter momentarily.
Drive the car and confirm the noise is still evident then pull the fuse(s) for the speakers (or just the wires at the fuse block) and drive again.

George Dill
George Dill

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts

George Dill
George Dill

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Can you simply unplug the speaker and see if the sound goes away?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts