SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The hose from the windshield wiper pump to the lift gate squirter nozzle is clogged. Front sprayers work great as i recently replaced the one-way value with a new one from IPD. The rear windshield wipers works fine(the wiring harness has been replaced also...thanks IPD) .

Running new hose is a possibility but I am not sure of the path of the hose through the car.
Help!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
IIRC it runs pretty much the same as the wiring harness. But then, it's been over 15 years since I've even touched a 245, and even longer for a 145, so I could be wrong. :)

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Hi,

The hose from the windshield wiper pump to the lift gate squirter nozzle is clogged. Front sprayers work great as i recently replaced the one-way value with a new one from IPD. The rear windshield wipers works fine(the wiring harness has been replaced also...thanks IPD) .

Running new hose is a possibility but I am not sure of the path of the hose through the car.
Help!
Welcome to Swedespeed, Dave.

Have you ever removed the tailgate interior panel?

George Dill

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have replaced the tailgate wiring harness and hinges so I am comfortable removing the ceiling liner. The piece that I do not understand is the path from the engine, through the firewall, and into the passenger side compartment. Will I be better off replacing the tube? Or trying to blow compressed air through the tube? Or trying a different method to clear the clog?

I bought the car nine years ago with 190k on the clock, it now has 260k. All systems work. This is the last bit that is not working!

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
I have replaced the tailgate wiring harness and hinges so I am comfortable removing the ceiling liner. The piece that I do not understand is the path from the engine, through the firewall, and into the passenger side compartment. Will I be better off replacing the tube? Or trying to blow compressed air through the tube? Or trying a different method to clear the clog?

I bought the car nine years ago with 190k on the clock, it now has 260k. All systems work. This is the last bit that is not working!
A 245 with all systems working - rare bird - congratulations!

My first thought would be to confirm that the washer pump is pushing water at the normal pressure at the pump.

Then, making sure that the rear washer nozzle is clear, disconnect the hose at the pump and apply water under pressure in the same direction as the usual flow of water.

Once all is well consider installing in-line filters for both front and rear washers.

George Dill

From: http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1219068&show_all=1
--------------------------------------------------------------
Try taking the bottom off and cleaning it out. The pump usually gets dirty and keeps the motor from spinning. While you have the bottom off, you can hook it back up to the elecrtrical connector and see if the motor really is bad. Also, there is a check valve in the hose near the rt. rear tailight that never seems to never work for me. I took mine out and put a very light springed check valve in its place. I got the check valve from my Dialysis machine parts from work. You can just leave the check valve out and it will still work.
--------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If you are in a climate with no winter do you use plain water or washer fluid? From what I've seen, washer fluid seems to inhibit crap build-up in the washer lines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the rear washer pump - it is not pumping water.
So before I buy a replacement or a used one, one want to " try to take the bottom off and cleaning it out".
Can someone give me a hint on the pump is put together?

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
I checked the rear washer pump - it is not pumping water.
So before I buy a replacement or a used one, one want to " try to take the bottom off and cleaning it out".
Can someone give me a hint on the pump is put together?
Some 245 wagons had two pumps (one in front one in rear) and some had one washer pump - yours?

George Dill

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/Electrical-Wipers1.html#Rear_Wiper_Motor_Failure

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 240 had the same trouble. Just take the rear pump apart (four screws on the plastic cover plate on the bottom side of the pump) and clean out the debris. The antifreeze component in the washer fluid builds up a residue that causes the pump to clog. After cleaning mine's been good to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved. Here is the sequence for diagnosis.
1. cleaned the rear pump
2. tested the rear pump by swapping the rear pump and the front pump. I determined the rear pump is weaker than the front but still usable.
3. Tested the rear washer with the "good front pump" but still no fluid.
4. Went to the rear of the car and removed the check value.
5. Tested the rear washer with the "weak rear pump" - and fluid came through.
6. So issue is the check value at the rear taillight assembly.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts