SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 1992 Volvo 240 Sedan with 159,000 miles on it. I love this car because it has always been so dependable and is in fabulous condition. In the past year I have experienced a puzzling problem which my mechanic has not been able to solve. Last summer I was driving in hilly country when the thermostat indicator rose into the red zone. My car lost power and I had to creep up the hills at 10-15 mph with the heater on. When I stopped at a garage for help the mechanic could find nothing wrong with my car - the temperature seemed to be within a normal range so I continued on. I took my car to a Volvo mechanic the next week and had the radiator, thermostat, transmission and catlytic convertor checked. Nothing stood out as a problem. Debris around the radiator was cleared away, the thermostat was replaced, and a regular servicing was done. The car drove normally until March when the same symptoms appeared then went away for a while. Last week I drove in the same hilly country as before and experienced the same problems(thermostat high & loss of power). When driving around town the thermostat goes up and down and I feel a constant dragging sensation. I live in a flat valley and my mechanic can't reproduce the problem I have in hills. He doesn't know what to do next. I want to keep this car and need help.
Thank you,
Vernice

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: 92 240 Sedan Thermostat & Power Loss (vernicek)

Hi:

Sounds like you might have a bad radiator hose. Radiator hoses are reinforced with a spiral of steel wire (sort of like a spring inside the rubber casing). If that wire rusts, the hose can squeeze shut when the coolant inside it gets hot. That shuts off the flow of coolant to the engine, causing the symptoms you describe. When things cool down, the hose opens back up and things return to normal. Make your service tech look at those hoses very carefully, squeezing every inch of them. This problem is often not spotted, because the hoses can look absolutely okay to the eye.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 92 240 Sedan Thermostat & Power Loss (danemodsandy)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Vernice.

I noticed elsewhere on SS that you are entertaining the idea of a new car.

If your 240 gets perfect again will you overcome this fever?

If the radiator hoses show ok then the car could have an ECU problem where the (brain) is receiving signals from various sensors then setting the operating parameters. A failing sensor or ECU could lean the fuel charge too much which would overheat the system and lessen the power output.

The '92 240 has ON-BOARD-DIAGNOSTIC (OBD) capabilities so your Volvo tech can dump the fault codes, if any.

The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) is not easy to check (other than OBD) and once a new/rebuilt ECU is installed on a car it is not returnable.

George Dill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 92 240 Sedan Thermostat & Power Loss (gdill2)

Hi George,
Thanks for responding to my question. I will take your message to my mechanic who is open to trying anything. He had my car for two days and still can't locate a problem. If this problem is repaired my fever for a new car will drop with the thermostat.
Vernice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts