SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the SPA xc90, we know there are two sets of mesh sunshade: https://accessories.volvocars.com/e...Document/VCC-510389/2018/T6 AWD/Automatic/all , which is comprised of the following part numbers:
31373976 : two pieces for 2nd row window
31373978 : two pieces for 3rd row window + 1 piece for rear liftgate window

Since the fold-up windshield visor doesn't extend, this means that for long trims, the 1st row occupants don't have a good way to reduce glare from the side.

I found this aftermarket set online, labeled as "7Pcs/ Set Foldable Car Mesh Windows Sunshade For Volvo XC-90 2015-2017". It shows these pictures, clearly not on an xc90.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Product check

As is the case with some online products fabricated from far away, shipping took a very long time. I'm more interested in how well the product matches its description, and how well it matches the SPA xc90.

• Magnetic sunshade: Well, not really. The frame is metal, so you can have it attach to a magnet. But it doesn't come with one inside.
  • Cool: Sure, the mesh partially blocks light as intended.
  • Anti-UV: See "Cool", so, maybe.
  • Foldable: Yes, but unlike mesh sunshade materials with more rounded edges, it is a bit tricky to fold.
  • Fit: Yes, but not obvious for some of the pieces at first. More on that later.

Interestingly, unlike the product description that says it is a 7 piece set, it is actually a 9 piece set:
  • 1 pair for the 1st row window, with opening for the side view mirror area
  • 1 pair for the 2nd row window that can retract down
  • 1 small pair for the small triangular window on the 2nd row
  • 1 pair for the 3rd row window
  • 1 piece for the rear liftgate window

As far as I can tell, the 4th and 5th items on the list above are very similar in shape to the OE part #31373978, but the 2nd row may be different.

One pleasant surprise, is that unlike the pictures, the product doesn't have any branding on the mesh frame at all. Just nice, uniform black all around.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The parts

The product was shipped in a large durable bag, with some pieces of wood to help keep the package rigid. Inside, there is a foam that covers all the window mesh products in one stack like so (with some of the installation pieces taken out for this picture):

There is no installation instruction, but that's not unusual with many value aftermarket parts. It came with two types of installation pieces. The first looks as pictured in the online product description, with double-sided tape on one end:

The second is completely different, looking like it needs to be slipped and clipped into an existing interior trim piece:

Neither look like the installation pieces seen in the user guide for the OE window mesh shades.

The 1st row piece has no OE comparison, so I will defer that for now. The 3rd row piece as well as the rear liftgate one seems similar to the OE piece. The interesting one is the 2 pairs (small and large) for the 2nd row. As far as I know, the OE 2nd row shade is one piece that straddles across the entire 2nd row window.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fitting the 3rd row

I wasn't interested in using the rear liftgate mesh for the time being, as I have a rearview camera mounted inside looking out of that window. This is how the piece looks like:

The 3rd row window pieces fit quite well; one needs to place the top part first to wedge it into the trim, and then slowly slide the bottom to set into place. It fits snugly by simple interference fit onto the existing interior trim.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fitting the 2nd row

The small triangular piece looks big compared to the opening...

But it does fit snugly; pushing the top piece in first and then the bottom, while bending the frame of the mesh a little bit at the same time:

For the larger piece, if you slip it the same way, from a very low seating position, the top part of the window isn't covered. This is because the glass part of the window is larger than the OE trim opening of the window.

If the mesh is placed on the inner side of the OE interior trim, then the mesh is sized reasonably well to fit:

The clips provided, however, doesn't seem to be a good way to mount the mesh.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fitting the 1st row

We run into the same situation with the 1st row. Here's a mock-up of how it looks with the provided installation clip:

With the surface texture of the interior trim where that clip is supposed to sit, it doesn't look like the clip will stay for a long time.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A simple way to affix the mesh

I have a few party name tag magnets; they appear to be two neodymium magnets stuck on a steel plate. Perfect. The steel plate is large enough to fit an automotive grade, double-sided tape. The top area of my interior door trim is relatively smooth, so the double sided tape seem to stick quite well:

With just that one, the attachment strength is quite good.

Here is the second row:

And here is the 1st row:

Note that for the 1st row, they provide the opening in front to not obstruct the side mirror view.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Is it foldable?

Folding it is similar in principle to many foldable mesh screens. However, the shapes of the mesh makes it impossible to fold them into perfect circles.

This is the 1st row piece; holding on the two less acute angled edges:

And then twising both ends in opposite directions yields a strange butterfly-like folded shape:

Here is the 2nd row piece; because it is more rectangular, it folds into a more symmetrical butterfly:

They stow somewhat ok on the side pockets of the doors:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thanks for the write up and especially the pics! Please share the link to the item :beer:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the write up and especially the pics! Please share the link to the item :beer:
There were several on eBay. This is the vendor I bought them from; I have no financial connection to them and this link is not an endorsement:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7Pcs-Set-F...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I assume the product link won't be that different from mine, as it has the same description and comes from the same vendor. I make no guarantees.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're welcome.

For what it's worth, there are two other options I previously considered.

One is what seems like a direct copy of the two OE part numbers (i.e. 2nd row, 3rd row, and rear liftgate window): https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-2015...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Another is a 6-piece: 1st row, 2nd row, and 3rd row pairs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PCS-SET-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Both have pictures of the product on a SPA xc90, which probably means that they will fit as well. In the end, I went with the one I bought, because it covers the most windows.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would have been a lot easier and more productive to simply have your windows tinted.
Window tint is permanent. I have window tint on some of my other vehicles. Even then, only anything behind the 1st row can be legally tinted as dark as I needed it to be.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It would have been a lot easier and more productive to simply have your windows tinted.
1. Tint is permanent and difficult to see through at night.
2. NJ doesn't allow front windows to be tinted.

I was hoping for something like this for my road trips from Jersey to Florida, the front two windows would be especially helpful.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I’m pretty sure I’ll be going with the first one you mentioned in post #10, I’ll pull the trigger on it in May.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to the OP - I did not know these were available. I went with OEM ones for the three rear windows. They fit nice. Not cheap of course. But the doggie in the back will appreciate the shade from the Florida Inferno!
You're welcome. I didn't know either, and buying generic parts can be a gamble a lot of times. That's why I decided to post here to share. For pets, you may also want to consider a dog harness that connects to a seatbelt: https://accessories.volvocars.com/e...Document/VCC-492137/2018/T6 AWD/Automatic/all

Or any one of the safety barriers:
https://accessories.volvocars.com/e...Document/VCC-510407/2018/T6 AWD/Automatic/all
https://accessories.volvocars.com/e...Document/VCC-510403/2018/T6 AWD/Automatic/all
https://accessories.volvocars.com/e...Document/VCC-510404/2018/T6 AWD/Automatic/all

I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the first one you mentioned in post #10, I'll pull the trigger on it in May.
I see. Shipping was long enough that I gave up waiting for it, as is the case with many aftermarket non-branded parts. If you need it for May, you may want to order first thing in April.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.