SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want your opinion, I am having my engine built. I am going with 9:1 compression(sleeved, rods, pistons ect). But I am keeping my stock turbo for now(upgrade at a later date). What in your opinions would be the best tune for my engine?

Sam

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Get a megasquirt3 and run parallel to the ECU

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Want your opinion, I am having my engine built. I am going with 9:1 compression(sleeved, rods, pistons ect). But I am keeping my stock turbo for now(upgrade at a later date). What in your opinions would be the best tune for my engine?

Sam
You'll need a custom tune to take advantage of the increased compression (which pistons?), but taking the factory turbo's airflow limitations into account.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Nice to hear you're rebuilding the block, sleeves, pistons and rods but why all that expense and factory turbo??? I mean, the factory turbo is good one, but you have to get retuned for compression and fuel changes, so why not just tune it for new turbo same time? Like, I have a GT3071R, though you'll need external wastegate also, but rated high and will work well with what you have building. The turbo new is about 1200 but check eBay.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tuscani66,

I am more interested at this time in durability and reliability. By keeping my stock turbo, I am making less horsepower therefore more reliability. If I want to boost HP in the future, I already have the internals, just need to change turbo and tune. But I want a tune now that will compliment the build and stock turbo.

Sam

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
tuscani66,

I am more interested at this time in durability and reliability. By keeping my stock turbo, I am making less horsepower therefore more reliability. If I want to boost HP in the future, I already have the internals, just need to change turbo and tune. But I want a tune now that will compliment the build and stock turbo.

Sam
Try ARD or if you want a tune that has been around for a while go with ipd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You really need to not waste the money if you don't plan on getting a bigger turbo. Don't waste time without a big turbo, and trying to tune around it. Just don't be a p u s s y, and get a GT37R and get 600 horse out of it. Why would you even bother with a stock turbo after investing that large amoutn of $$$ into the motor? Just seems like a dumb waste to me. Everyone else on this forum will be kicking themselves if you run forged/sleeved and stock turbo. I also forsee them giving you **** for it, like I am right now. Also, if you're running higher compression you should be running E85, you could even go as high as 12:1 compression with E85 (with direct injection)

Don't be a wuss, get a big turbo and MS3 and find someone local that knows how to tune it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr. Brutal,

I have heard of penis envy, but your the first for turbo envy. Maybe you should get a life. I'll stick to my little turbo.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
tuscani66,

Sam
Sam,

I see your point and by no means being a criticizer, was just curious. You are valid though as you will have one solid base (sold block, internals and supporting internals) so should you bump it later you know that the base will hold strong. Its just that you said upgrade at a later date and changing turbo now will cause a lot less headache later (actual install process, wastegate mounting and connections, piping then you'll have to retune it again)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Big turbo and death to all Hondas in the block!
YYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Lol

Sam, I am totally on your side man. I started the same way, newer got it finished...

The thing is, you'll get the tune made on a dyno table, and that means you'll probably do it once and for all until you get another turbo.
In that case, make sure you have all the turbo upgrades like CBV and silicone cuplers. I'd reckon you should try to do some gasket machine and porting on the exhaust manifold and you might also have some fun on the turbine housing... Once you do the mapping you'll be happy as **** to face it running.

The problem you'll face next is when it all becomes boring to you, and knowing that your internals are what they are will make you want to modify even more.... And more and some more, and then some.

I'm not sure what turbo to suggest to you. I planned to get a promising BW EFR8473, but that would mean that stock half shafts would last for 2 runs on the dyno and possibly half way home :) then I got thinking about 7670 and that is where I'll try to head for. There are still many problems with drivetrain to come, but I hope to see some nice and sexy moments before I'll be cursing Volvo, and a driveshaft, and a collar gear, and AOC, and DEM and dif and then some....

Good luck with the build!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Email Lucky at ARD, he's incredibly knowledgeable as far as what is possible with a tune, vs piggyback ECU and should be able to hook you up with a tune as well if you go that route.

http://ardideas.com/contact.html

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hey Sam,

I haven't gotten that far into the SR yet to do any serious mod work...

BUT! My long and arduous experience from my 240 days (and Mopar Big Block days before that) tell me that IF you are going to mod it, and you want to drive it in between "jumps" in performance (due to money, time, etc) then the way you are going about it (getting the fundamentals right, then worrying about the bolt ons) is the correct course of action.

I totally get that not everyone has a bajillion dollars laying around to mod their R (I know I don't... I'm just glad I found the extra money to put the trailer hitch on mine for right now... it will make hauling stuff a LOT easier) so doing the things you can do in the right sequence is killer/key.

And if you do have a bajillion dollars laying around, show a pirate R brother some love... ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Paisley Pirate,

I don't have a bajillion dollars anymore (that was in my younger days) now I'm old, fat, and grey. But my R still excites me.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Paisley Pirate,

I don't have a bajillion dollars anymore (that was in my younger days) now I'm old, fat, and grey. But my R still excites me.

+1 ! Us old guys gotta stick together!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sam,
What part of Utah are you in? If you find someone local to do the tune I would be interested in seeing the cost, etc. I currently run IPD but would consider custom if it was beneficial. If you need a good mechanic, I have a guy in Orem that worked for Garff Volvo until going indy. He built a 850 T5R a couple years ago.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in Logan. I do need a good indy. Thanks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts