SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got done driving 8 hours in the XC90 as far as fatigue is concerned the XC90 is as good as any BMW I have been in. I also got about 22 mpg out her with ~50% interstate and ~50% state and county highways. I get to do the same drive in the opposite direction on Thursday. I did learn some thing during the drive, if you push and hold tuning buttons on the steering wheel the radio will interpret that as a request to go to the next station, instead of going to your next preset.

The suspension over bumps, pot holes, etc was more like a 3 series (sharp and crisp) than a 7serries/Cadillac/TownCar/S80/#Luxuary sedan (subtle), but was better than explorer/blazer/#POS SUV.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I usually do a 14:30 hr drive to Texas once a year to see relatives, and I can't see how any car could have more comfortable seats for a long drive than my XC90. I can accept the argument that BMW or Mercedes have seats that are AS comfortable, but not more comfortable. Interesting about the steering wheel tuning buttons. Didn't know that.

Have a safe trip back.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a great trip back. In a BMW it is not just the seats, it is the layout of the controls, road noise, etc. Although I will admit to comparing apples to oranges, the BMW I have in mind is a long wheel based executive land yacht and I am comparing it to a 4-wheel drive medium to short wheel base SUV built on a sedan chassis. I have also driven a motor-home across the country, and I do appreciate the sitting position of a truck/ suv/ RV compared to reclined position in most sedans.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I did a couple ~9h 45m drives in mine, which I can neatly sum up like this: never before was precisely nobody fatigued after such a long drive.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Taking mine up for a 12 hour drive up to PA for the holidays.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
X, enjoy the ride! Squeezed just over 400 miles out of a tank of fuel in the V-8. It claimed I still had ~55 miles before it was completely empty, but I was not going to push the issue. If you have the time take Highways over the interstate. The scenery was great and the drive much more relaxing than the interstate. I used my GPS to keep me headed the correct direction, if you have a navigator riding with you, then have them pull out the maps. There is little need to start the holidays in a hurry.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've done 12+ between Louisville and Washington DC more times than I can count, as well as south to Orlando (16 hours) and north to Niagara Falls. Its a great road SUV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did 30 hours this past summer. Across the Canadian prairies, to New Hampshire. Completely loaded down, bike rack on back, roof rack and box on top. The 2.5T did "okay", one weird code on route, and a 'limp mode' shut down less than 100km from home (bad karma). Very comfy, although the occasional break helped. Oh, and it's also comfy to sleep in the backseat. I did that, but was awakened by the Ontario Police, wondering if I was a vagrant, outside a Tim Hortons!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I calculated the mileage last night, the on board computer agrees with the hard numbers, 20.8 MPG with an average speed of 56MPH. I spent about 50% of the time on the intestate and 50% on 2 lane highways through the foothills.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Concur with all wrt long distance profiles in the XC-90. We make frequent 11-12 hours trips within the SE USA. Our "90" provides good comfort and reasonable mpg. It does not equal the highway qualities of our previous 2004 V-70 2.5T but that's not a fair comparison for this SUV. (Wish the new V70 would return to the USA market).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Like others here, we have two trips to Daytona and back the past two Christmases. 780 miles in 12 hours each time. Three drivers alternating and one Labrador sleeping plus all the presents both ways with fireworks from SC on the way back. We used to do it in a 04 Jeep GC, which wasn't bad, but the XC obviously has more space. Gas consumption is about the same around 21.5 for both, but the extra 70 hp is nice.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Imlove long dist trips on my XC90. Confort is amazing

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
i preferred the seats in my 93 legend coupe to the seats in the 06 xc90. the legend coupe was better for long trips than the xc90. the bottom of the seat in the legend was made for longer legs than the xc90 seats. but the legend coupe was probably a death trap should it have hit a roll of tin foil.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
but the legend coupe was probably a death trap should it have hit a roll of tin foil.
I knew that, eventually, you would come around! :p :p

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
i preferred the seats in my 93 legend coupe to the seats in the 06 xc90. the legend coupe was better for long trips than the xc90.
Keep saying things like this, and I'll post another "Twilight Zone" video.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Keep saying things like this, and I'll post another "Twilight Zone" video.
You cant handle the truth!

From what all the volvo nutswingers were saying I was looking forward to the volvo seats. Sadly, the seats in the car I sold in 2002 were better for long drives than the volvo seats which lack hamstring support. Not as bad as the recaros I had in one of my S2s that were bolted directly to the recaro tracks, were on a drive with traffic from long island to watkins glen was, but not as good as the legend coupes, or for that matter the vaders in my M3, or the factory sport seats in my e46 (seats that left a lot to be desired in other areas).

·
Registered
1,972 Posts

From what all the volvo nutswingers were saying I was looking forward to the volvo seats. Sadly, the seats in the car I sold in 2002 were better for long drives than the volvo seats which lack hamstring support. Not as bad as the recaros I had in one of my S2s that were bolted directly to the recaro tracks, were on a drive with traffic from long island to watkins glen was, but not as good as the legend coupes, or for that matter the vaders in my M3, or the factory sport seats in my e46 (seats that left a lot to be desired in other areas).
And we all know you have the truth about Volvos.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

My mom who drives an 330I with sport seats complained about the lack of hamstring support in the XC90 (She has put more miles on my XC90 than I have), she is only 64" tall on a good day. Yet at 72", I do not perceive a need for more support in the XC90, and I feel that the 330I (I get to drive it around town when she takes the kids to the beach) does not offer enough hamstring support. I would imagine that the difference would be the elevation adjustment of the seat. In the XC90 I can sit in a more upright position, in the 330 I am more reclined with my hair brushing the headliner. In such a position I have to move my whole leg to operate the pedals and thus my hamstring cannot be supported. For my mom to see over the Dash and reach the pedals of the XC90 I think she has the back of the butt pan higher than the front, thus a lack of hamstring support.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts