SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'd like to buy an 87 760 T (with 89,000 miles) on it, though I am not quite sure if the mileage is high given the $2650.00 asking price?

The car has ABS, AC, leather seats, and a small dent all with original owner.

Any opinions would be helpful!

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
If the car does in fact have only 89K miles, that is VERY low mileage, and the price sounds great if the car is in decent shape. For comparison, my '87 240 has relatively low mileage, and it's at 147K.

I would suggest you have a mechanic that you trust look over the car for you to determine what may need work in the near future. Also, if you end up buying the car consider using an engine flush to clean out the engine (extremely low mileage cars will tend to have more crud and varnish built up in the engine because of frequent short trips), and then switch to synthetic oil if the car isn't already using it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make sure you listen to the turbo as you drive. If you hear a whine, make note of how loud it is. As it grows in volume, start a little new trubo savings fund. Also, if you can, drive the car in second gear, and let off the gas about 3k. Have soeone behind you , or stand on the street and do it as you pass them. If you see smoke, the turbo is not too long for this world. Otherwise, that sounds like a nice low mileage car...

Sean

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Ditto on everything that was said above. 89,000 miles for a 1987 model is insanely low! Do an Amsoil flush on the engine to clean out all the crud, and make sure the turbo is spinning freely. Also, if that small dent does not have any paint damage, you can have it taken out by a Dent Doctor, which I swear on my life by.

-Drew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. Is this model rear wheel drive? I asked the owner and he mentioned that it was an auto (with all options), though not wether it was R or F wheel drive model?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts