SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds wrong, ( I come from the VW/ Audi realm).
About swapping/ changing to a different/ more acceptable bolt pattern/ offset.
Thinking about replacing my Volans ( soon for sale, not perfect, but roll good), With that of another auto manufacturer. Has anyone done this yet?
Just curious to see what type of wheel/tire/offset that you can get away with on these cars. I've played around with some of the newer 17's & 18's and yet to get the rear to set right. Now I'm not looking for the ghetto daytons look, I want the more flush with the fenders look.
I've been looking all over, doing research, talking to my techs, to find information on these topics. ( Sorry I don't build cars destined for The Slow and the Curious movies).
One last question,
Looking for a suspension set up for the wag, I'm also looking to redo the f&r susp. With the volans the front seems to sit a little high depending on the day, while the rear sits fine. Does this mean that I have a car w/ self leveling susp. My car is a 96'. Any help would be major.
I drive this car quite a bit, almost 25k a year , so i'm looking for a balance, and I know about comfort VS perfomance compromises.

Any light on these subjects would be extremely helpful, and everything else I will do my best to share with you.
Thanks Yo! Scott

And now I'm hoping you guys can help me

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I've only done it on the RWD cars (that have an ET15 or so offset), but Jeremy is running AMG Monoblocks on his 855. He can tell you more than anyone else could.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 855R Whls, Tire, Susp. Questions? Anybody tried this? (realsicksince88)

The front always looks and IS a bit high.
I've had success with using springs in the front only.
All these cars are a bit different

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 855R Whls, Tire, Susp. Questions? Anybody tried this? (JRL)

In your past experience, what springs have you used/ or had good reviews of? The rear sits fine on most days, so if I could get 3/4" drop on the front everything would be right with the world.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

I like H&Rs myself

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

more flush with fenders? 5mm spacers work nicely with the front for that. the rear? well, the track is already shorter in the rear, so it only gets accented by the fender, so u can try 15mm and c if it rubs (which if u don't lower, may increase ur changes of not rubbing).

ipd spring is a nice drop, but it's pretty darn harsh with bilstein hd.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 855R Whls, Tire, Susp. Questions? Anybody tried this? (steve s)

I just ordered M3 Motorsport wheels, once they show, we'll take all the steps necc, like alot of them. Custom adapters aren't too pricey.
I'll let you guys know once the wheels show.
Cross your fingers/ If this works it'll be cool.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts

I have walked in your shoes, coming from the VW/Audi scene myself. I have adapted my hubs to 5x112 with 20mm front and 25mm rear spacer adapters from Germany (www.spurverbreiterung.de) and the wheels are 18x8.5 ET35 with stretched 215/35 Continentals.

These are flush with rolled fenders:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 855R Whls, Tire, Susp. Questions? Anybody tried this? (Schweder)

Thanks to everyone that has chimed in. It has been awesome help.
I'm now running into a new problem.
Do 96 855R's have self leveling rear susp's.\
I see alot of 850 spring kits, but w/ exceptions, They never mention the sweetest swede of all, the R.
I'm trying to even the car out f - to - r, ok, I'd like to sink the front 3/4 to 1", JRL & jeremy have sent me in better directions than I was headed, But I would like to also ask for shock feedback on these cars.
I'v always used koni, bilstien sports, or KW's. Anyone have a magic shock
trick up thier sleeve

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

not sure if u r has novimats. many don't. if u'r unsure, just change the rear shocks to another shock, and u'll be able to use pretty much any aftermarket springs.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

there are no bilstein sports for 850, only hd.

ride is ok with stock springs and bilstein hd. can get pretty harsh on ipd springs. see my link in jrl's thread

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I doubt you have nivomats. These are primarily on the AWD cars, but there are exceptions. Call your dealer with your VIN to find out.

I have Spax springs rated at 30mm, but they seem closer to 40mm - compared to other lowered 855s with 30mm springs. I also have reverse-valved Koni shocks/struts compliments of the previous owner. From what I can tell, Bilstein HD's almost nullify the effects of lowering springs, or reduce lowering to 15-20mm instead of 30mm.

Just as with VW/Audi, you will need to limit the rear suspension travel to prevent rubbing in the rear. I accomplished this by using regulation hockey pucks wrapped in synthetic speaker enclosure carpet placed between the rear bump stops and lower spring perches. (Don't expect to find products from Bonrath or KW to limit your 855 suspension
. )

Prior to doing this, the rear rubbed quite a bit and I could not have rear seat passengers. Now it never rubs and is slightly tighter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Schweder)

Thanks for all your input, The m3 wheels didn't quite sit right with the wheel adapters I got, they seem to have been more engineered for muscle cars, ( 10mm outside the fenders on the front, no dice so I sold em). Schweder, do you have a US or english web connection for the adapters that you have, I checked your link (and 3 yrs of spanish doesn't help me).
I thought this would be a lot cooler of an outcome, and have some new options for the rest of you all. Now, I may just have compomotive just make a set of wheels for me. I'll let you know how this new direction turns out.
once again to everybody, Thank you

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
keep in mind that the front fender well is cut about 1/4" to 1/2" higher than the rear which gives the impression that it sits higher when in fact the car is level.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Re: (realsicksince88)

10mm outside the fenders would have been doable with fender rolling and stretched tires. Too bad you wussed out...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Schweder)

When you did ( rolled ) your front fenders, did you just give them the wooden baseball bat treatment, or did you actually pull them off to flare them out. In the pics it looks like you still have the flat part of the fender lip.
When you say that you stretched the fenders an inch, what did you mean?.
I've massaged many a fender in my earlier days, But in keeping with what looks right on an 850, ( AND NOT BITING YOUR STYLE ). I'm still hunting for the right wheel setup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts