SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, long time lurker here. A friend of mine owns a 10 valve 5 speed 855 up in canada and recently hydro locked the car so I'm planning to go up for a visit, do a motor swap and finally get myself a volvo.

Ive done a bit of searching into what is essentially the "t5-m" 850, and it seems like most people recommend doing an M56H swap into an automatic 850 GLT, t5, turbo etc.

Would it be less work to just grab the trans out of his NA 10 valve 855 and then find an auto 855 with a turbo already in it?

Theres a lengthy thread I've been working my way through over on volvospeed so bare with me if these questions seem stupid.

Hope to get some feedback from the 850 owners here

Cheers
- Jonathan

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
if his motor is shot, definetely. you can change the tranny by lowering the support frame 15cm or thereabout, whereas an engineswap requires the entire engine to be dropped or raised completely, which is logical:)

however, its not the biggest job ever, so if you're happy with the way the car looks and equipment level, it might be a just as big a job getting the T5 up to par with the NA, providing its nicely equipped. thats something you'll have to consider for yourself, few things are really difficult or timeconsumingbon these cars, in my opinion. an engine swap can be done in 12 hours, providing nothing goes wrong.

however, Murphy loves screwing with us, so plan a week, and have a parts dealer close by, no matter what you en up doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder who that friend is.

Luckily I work for a dealership that also has a Volvo dealer attached to us, and its only 15 minutes from my house where the car is.

The plan seems to be use my manual transmission, swap it into a turbo automatic wagon, and take the automatic trans from the turbo and swap it into a 2000 S70 NA I found with a slipping tranny. Scrap/part the rest of my old wagon.

Correct me if I'm wrong Jon, but this is going to be stupidly fun.

-Jett.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder who that friend is.

Luckily I work for a dealership that also has a Volvo dealer attached to us, and its only 15 minutes from my house where the car is.

The plan seems to be use my manual transmission, swap it into a turbo automatic wagon, and take the automatic trans from the turbo and swap it into a 2000 S70 NA I found with a slipping tranny. Scrap/part the rest of my old wagon.

Correct me if I'm wrong Jon, but this is going to be stupidly fun.

-Jett.
Its going to be the trip of a lifetime. Just need to find that wagon now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts