SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Volvo lovers.<p>I recently purchased a 1994 850 t5 back in november of last year off of my father. Great car, fast, fun, "usually" reliable. Reason being for usually is that ive been encountering an extremely annoying issue where the car seems to loose all power, wont turn off just wont accelerate for a random amount of time. On more random occasions the car will actually just shut off, sadly in the middle of an intersection once. <br>Quick fix however, simply turning the car off then restarting it works.<br>Sadly i have been unable to find a stable environment where the car will reproduce this issue at my will. Rain, snow, sun, hot, cold, its done it in all conditions.<p>Ive put probaly over a grand in parts trying to correct this problem however to no avail. If anyone has any ideas or suggestion there warmly welcomed.<p>Heres a list of what ive replaced:<br>Mass air flow sensor, distributer cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition switch, fuel pump relay, fuel pump, crank position sensor,<br>coolant temp sensor, thermostat, throttle position sensor.<p>And does anyone know if 850s have a altitude pressure sensor?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Hey man, welcome to the forums.<p>That's a stumper. Have you checked to see if it's thrown any codes? <p>Maybe swap the fuel pressure regulator? Sounds like one of the few things left to swap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lloyd.<br>Hasnt thrown any codes, checked 3 times.<br>Ill check into the fuel pressure reg, thanks!<br>How would i go about checking my fuel pressure?<br>

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Basically you stick a pressure gage on the fuel rail. There's a fitting on the end of it under the throttle cover. You can run a hose into the car and actually check pressure while driving.<p>Then you can do a couple things like run it at full throttle to see if the pressure drops, or pinch off the return line to see if the pressure spikes high. Pressure drop means something is wrong, and pressure spiking means the pump isn't marginal.<p>Also, a quick check of the regulator is to pull the vacuum hose off and see if it stinks of gas. If it does, your diaphragm is leaking and the regulator needs to be replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts