SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20+ years of family ownership, my beloved 855R was sandwiched between a semi and a Toyota on the interstate this week.

The insurance adjuster has deemed it a total loss due to the damage in the rear.

I *need* another. Yeah I’m that guy. One of my coworkers literally was tearing up when they heard about it because they know how much I love my Volvos.

Must be a wagon and preferably white. Black will be considered it I can’t find white, but red is off the table. Mileage is not a concern. Mechanical problems, faults, etc are not a concern - I can fix them. Broken bumper cover? I just happen to have a repairable one on my totaled car I’m buying back, AND I have a new one in a Volvo box I’ve been hoarding as a spare. Volans gone? I have my set that were off my car for the winter. Bad engine? I’ve got a spare N engine and a couple B5244T5s on the rack :) What I’m saying is I will consider anything.

I’m in Columbus, Indiana. I can fly somewhere and have an adventure driving it home. If it doesn’t run, I can send a car transport after it.

Please help. I’ll even pay someone a finders fee if they can help me find it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Damn buddy. Sorry to hear about your R. I live down in Jacksonville FL. I will keep a look out for one and if you find one down around here I will go inspect it for you if you want for free.

·
Registered
16,842 Posts
Same here. I’m the dc area and would do my best for free. Pretty busy but hey- we are those guys.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's another possibility for you ... 1996 white N/A wagon, says low mileage. Could you use this as a shell?

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/d/akron-1996-volvo-850-wagon/6860173344.html
Potentially. Converting NA to turbo is a lot of work. I’m hopeful the owner of the wagon in Louisville responds and has just been busy.

I don’t mind an engine swap if I have to in a turbo car, I’ve got the 175k N engine out of my totaled car, and I have 2 b5244t5s from an 06 and 07 s60 t5 as well.... but I’d probably search for a turbo car a bit longer before buying a NA and doing all that work.

I appreciate the help regardless!

·
Registered
16,842 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
16,842 Posts
I sure hope the one I recalled works out. It would be cool to see it brought back up with your help.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
One of the indie mechanics near me has a red 850R estate with black interior that a customer dumped on him. He wants $2500 for it but it’s in kinda rough shape — bumpers are replaced but not painted, roof and hood look like they were already repainted at some point and clear-coated, and some other stuff. I think he’s had it for a while and is negotiable. Not sure if you wrench, but could be a situation where you pick the best parts of each (your white one and this one) and make things whole again?

(I took some photos and can upload them later.)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
One of the indie mechanics near me has a red 850R estate with black interior that a customer dumped on him. He wants $2500 for it but it’s in kinda rough shape — bumpers are replaced but not painted, roof and hood look like they were already repainted at some point and clear-coated, and some other stuff. I think he’s had it for a while and is negotiable. Not sure if you wrench, but could be a situation where you pick the best parts of each (your white one and this one) and make things whole again?

(I took some photos and can upload them later.)
Thanks for checking in with an idea.

I live to wrench.... and bought the wagon ZZZZZZZ suggested. Waiting on the check I sent to clear the sellers bank and then I’ll set up transport from MD to IN as it sounds like I need to do a little wrenching before it’s ready for a road trip.

I have a complete new suspension sitting here that I was going to install on my totaled wagon the weekend after it got hit. And a bunch of other goodies. And a bunch of other parts for my black 850R wagon.

The white one was a close to stock car. Replacement will be as well. Black one.... isn’t :) I work 6 days a week so I don’t dare doing any wrenching on the black car til the white cars replacement is roadworthy because some projects can’t be done in one day.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Congratulation on finding a replacement so quickly! Post up photos once you have it home.

·
Registered
16,842 Posts
I keep trying to get to the point where maybe I have a daily that I can use and keep miles off the VR but who knows. May never happen.
Glad you connected and it will go to a good home!
Ian
Thanks for checking in with an idea.
I live to wrench.... and bought the wagon ZZZZZZZ suggested. Waiting on the check I sent to clear the sellers bank and then I’ll set up transport from MD to IN as it sounds like I need to do a little wrenching before it’s ready for a road trip.
I have a complete new suspension sitting here that I was going to install on my totaled wagon the weekend after it got hit. And a bunch of other goodies. And a bunch of other parts for my black 850R wagon.
The white one was a close to stock car. Replacement will be as well. Black one.... isn’t :) I work 6 days a week so I don’t dare doing any wrenching on the black car til the white cars replacement is roadworthy because some projects can’t be done in one day.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!

It showed up at a somewhat inopportune time.... so better pics and details will be forthcoming.

But the eagle has landed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts