SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Had a little time to mess around in the garage tonight and the turbo internals are going out for balancing tomorrow.

Heard back from Aaron and decided against COP. Want to keep it looking mostly stock and the VVT solenoid means rerouting fuel lines.

Now that that’s deuces I can move forward drilling the cams and getting it back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
Had a little time to mess around in the garage tonight and the turbo internals are going out for balancing tomorrow.

Heard back from Aaron and decided against COP. Want to keep it looking mostly stock and the VVT solenoid means rerouting fuel lines.

Now that that’s deuces I can move forward drilling the cams and getting it back together.
No need to drill the cams; take a look at my thread for a cleaner solution.

I ran my CoP wiring in the main harness.....you would have no idea it's not factory if you didn't know. I'm not sure what that has to do with VVT but regardless you can use a RN fuel line/rail which solves the aesthetic and routing issues of fuel lines going over the top of a RN engine.

·
Registered
488 Posts
No need to drill the cams; take a look at my thread for a cleaner solution.

I ran my CoP wiring in the main harness.....you would have no idea it's not factory if you didn't know. I'm not sure what that has to do with VVT but regardless you can use a RN fuel line/rail which solves the aesthetic and routing issues of fuel lines going over the top of a RN engine.
Same, VVT wiring in the main harness and impossible to see. Fuel lines can be persuaded around and over or next to the VVT, I’ve seen a couple different solutions that all look pretty clean. Replacing the fuel lines with braided flexible line is another option. There was an RN swap thread from 6-7 years ago that had a few different options for fuel lines laid out with photos- I’ll dig and see if I can find those images for reference.

Would *highly* recommend COP- it cleans up the engine bay so much and also creates some room over on the left side of the engine for intake, etc should you decide to get rid of factory air filter housing.

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
Same, VVT wiring in the main harness and impossible to see. Fuel lines can be persuaded around and over or next to the VVT, I’ve seen a couple different solutions that all look pretty clean. Replacing the fuel lines with braided flexible line is another option. There was an RN swap thread from 6-7 years ago that had a few different options for fuel lines laid out with photos- I’ll dig and see if I can find those images for reference.

Would *highly* recommend COP- it cleans up the engine bay so much and also creates some room over on the left side of the engine for intake, etc should you decide to get rid of factory air filter housing.
Are you talking about the guy in CA with the black 850R? I looked at that and was concerned with the vaccum line all the way to the fuel tank being a problem and Aaron said the same. Fortunately the 97-98 x70s have the FPR at the base of the firewall so that setup can be easily adapted to a 850.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Are you talking about the guy in CA with the black 850R? I looked at that and was concerned with the vaccum line all the way to the fuel tank being a problem and Aaron said the same. Fortunately the 97-98 x70s have the FPR at the base of the firewall so that setup can be easily adapted to a 850.
Are you taking about CJ’s car? I don’t think he has an RN motor in his car? Maybe you’re talking about Calvin’s car?

Anyhow, I suppose it comes down to running the later returnless style or not, also wondering if you’re running the VVT, or if you are just unplugging. A block off plate would clear up some room if you’re not using the VVT, in which case you could notch the timing cover and run them up and over.

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
Are you taking about CJ’s car? I don’t think he has an RN motor in his car? Maybe you’re talking about Calvin’s car?

Anyhow, I suppose it comes down to running the later returnless style or not, also wondering if you’re running the VVT, or if you are just unplugging. A block off plate would clear up some room if you’re not using the VVT, in which case you could notch the timing cover and run them up and over.
No not CJ's car. There was a guy on VS maybe 5 or so years ago who had a 99 T5M that got totaled and used it to manual swap a black 850R estate he got to replace it. Pics are all broken now but he swapped over everything in the fuel system. Not that I am endorsing that idea because Aaron and I had the same concerns with the idea of a 12' or so vacuum line. I think the 98 FPR setup is a better way to solve the same problem and requires minimal adaptation.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

I’m running a return style with a 4bar regulator. No VVT and planning to notch the cover.

·
Registered
488 Posts
In Neal I trust!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Something I’m trying to figure out being new to P80 mods.... why is there a vacuum line going back to the tank for the FPR? On my car the FPR is mounted to the rail.

The regulator in my fuel rail currently is Bosch 0280160554 and will be replaced by a Bosch 0280160260 in the same location. Vacuum / boost line goes directly to the intake.

Please let me know if I’m missing something. Lots of experience converting dead-end systems to retune., but I might be missing something here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
Something I’m trying to figure out being new to P80 mods.... why is there a vacuum line going back to the tank for the FPR? On my car the FPR is mounted to the rail.

The regulator in my fuel rail currently is Bosch 0280160554 and will be replaced by a Bosch 0280160260 in the same location. Vacuum / boost line goes directly to the intake.

Please let me know if I’m missing something. Lots of experience converting dead-end systems to retune., but I might be missing something here.

Thanks.

the FPR is at the rail on 850s and at the base of the firewall on -98 x70.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
the FPR is at the rail on 850s and at the base of the firewall on -98 x70.
So what’s the vacuum line routed back to the tank?

·
Registered
15,375 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
evap? where's it coming from?
Sorry JaredR, I guess my question wasn’t clear.

What’s the advantage / point of going to a 98 - 00 FPR on the firewall?

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
Sorry JaredR, I guess my question wasn’t clear.

What’s the advantage / point of going to a 98 - 00 FPR on the firewall?

None, unless you want to run a RN fuel rail. If deleting the VVT solves the engine cover/fuel line routing problem, this isn't relevant.

FPR is only at the firewall on 97-98 x70s. 99+ it's a returnless system.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
None, unless you want to run a RN fuel rail. If deleting the VVT solves the engine cover/fuel line routing problem, this isn't relevant.

FPR is only at the firewall on 97-98 x70s. 99+ it's a returnless system.
got it. Didn’t make the connection with the RN fuel rail on these swaps.

This is how I’ve done the RN rail to a return system on P2R’s, but I’m still learning about P80’s.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?583359-500-AWHP-Fuel-System-Design

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
got it. Didn’t make the connection with the RN fuel rail on these swaps.

This is how I’ve done the RN rail to a return system on P2R’s, but I’m still learning about P80’s.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?583359-500-AWHP-Fuel-System-Design

looks pretty similar to the 97-98 x70 setup. Probably not an improvement from the 850 setup from a performance perspective and that is what Aaron will telly you too but I think you'll probably reach maf saturation before the fuel rail becomes a limiting factor

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The DW300 at 55 psi base pressure will be plenty.. not worried about the fuel system. Honestly not worried about the MAF either as it should be capable of flowing 1400kg/s without an issue and I don’t think the 19T will push more than 1300kg/s before running out of steam.

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
The DW300 at 55 psi base pressure will be plenty.. not worried about the fuel system. Honestly not worried about the MAF either as it should be capable of flowing 1400kg/s without an issue and I don’t think the 19T will push more than 1300kg/s before running out of steam.

I hope so too because any bigger and I'll need a completely custom intake setup....but some of my friends in Europe tell me they've seen 19T cars reach saturation with 960 MAF housings.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
Whats the plan to keep the VVT hub from flopping around? They go full retard? under load without control IIRC. You could source a 00 NA exhaust cam, spec are the same but it has no VVT hub yet is set up for a vvt capable head.

41 - 60 of 378 Posts