SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

201 - 220 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Only chassis bits left are chassis brace and rear sway bar installation, so it’s back to drivetrain.

Ran into a little issue with the AtSpeed oil pan that CJ helped resolve by lengthening the early P2 oil pickup by 1.375”. Turns out the dog house was moved in the direction of the front of the car to support the added capacity.

Block is shimmed and the head is installed. It will be buttoned up this weekend and trans refresh / LSD install will be next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
29 Posts
Completed the sunroof to moonroof conversion project today thanks to a little TIG welding help from CJ.

Consistent with the spirit of this project it utilizes stock mounting points and doesn’t make a permanent modification so the car can be returned to stock in the future.

The frame is constructed of 6061 aluminum 1” X 1” square tubing and L stock so it’s light, but also creates a roof brace. Added bonus, the cross bar also makes a nice GoPro mounting point.
Brilliant! Great idea. I was always hoping someone could create a sunroof delete kit. This is a good alternative.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Well.... the center speaker gauge pod from Ortiz didn’t come out as I had hoped....

So it went under the knife today. Hope to complete it this weekend.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
For future reference, throw away that pad you used to clean your cam cover mating surface. Those pads leave scratches that cause dips in the surface. Use only a razor blade and a rag with Acetone or Lacquer thinner on it. It takes more time, but won't mess up the surface.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
For future reference, throw away that pad you used to clean your cam cover mating surface. Those pads leave scratches that cause dips in the surface. Use only a razor blade and a rag with Acetone or Lacquer thinner on it. It takes more time, but won't mess up the surface.
They soft brown pads on a slow drill motor work pretty well. I’ve never had an issue with them. I would never use the green or blue pads to do the job though.

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
This is how I always do it too. Not necessarily with a razor blade but anything comparable will do the job acceptably.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Just have to take your time and be careful. Likewise with a razor blade as they can also gouge the surface of your not careful.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
To each his own, but those pads are abrasive and do take material off, hence the swirl marks.

The photo with the head gasket looks odd. It appears that the bore and the gasket don't quite line up. Is that the angle of the camera or are the bores off?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
To each his own, but those pads are abrasive and do take material off, hence the swirl marks.

The photo with the head gasket looks odd. It appears that the bore and the gasket don't quite line up. Is that the angle of the camera or are the bores off?
I get what you’re saying CJ, but anything rotating is going to leave swirl marks.... like wax on paint. Wish I had a close up photo for you. Maybe the soft pads remove some material, but it’s a polish and not a scrub.

Some people use them with die grinders, but the RPM scares me.

The head gasket is the angle combined with an MLS gasket that isn’t flat by design.

This is an MLS gasket made specifically for the 81MM bore. Most people run the 83mm (4T4) MLS gasket that isn’t correct for the engine and unfortunately Volvo doesn’t offer an MLS for the 81mm bore. The Victor Reinz MLS is a high performance gasket that won’t compromise cylinder volume.

https://www.victorreinz.com/EN/Serv...r-Steel-MLS-Cylinder-Head-Gaskets.aspx?region

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #210

I don’t know how well you’ll be able to see this, but hopefully you can see that the factory surface cutter marks are deeper than those left by the Scotch Brite

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I can see them. Minor amount indeed.
I’m careful my friend. You and I have talked a lot about the “right” way to do things. We both know that patience is always important.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I get what you’re saying CJ, but anything rotating is going to leave swirl marks.... like wax on paint. Wish I had a close up photo for you. Maybe the soft pads remove some material, but it’s a polish and not a scrub.

Some people use them with die grinders, but the RPM scares me.

The head gasket is the angle combined with an MLS gasket that isn’t flat by design.

This is an MLS gasket made specifically for the 81MM bore. Most people run the 83mm (4T4) MLS gasket that isn’t correct for the engine and unfortunately Volvo doesn’t offer an MLS for the 81mm bore. The Victor Reinz MLS is a high performance gasket that won’t compromise cylinder volume.

https://www.victorreinz.com/EN/Serv...r-Steel-MLS-Cylinder-Head-Gaskets.aspx?region

I used the s60r all metal gasket when I did my head refresh.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
I used the s60r all metal gasket when I did my head refresh.

Are you using a RN engine? I also thought about that my T-5R but then it doesn't really fit a N block perfectly and the original HG was still going strong at 297k. I won't ever make crazy power in that car, either, so I ended up staying stock.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Are you using a RN engine? I also thought about that my T-5R but then it doesn't really fit a N block perfectly and the original HG was still going strong at 297k. I won't ever make crazy power in that car, either, so I ended up staying stock.
Using stock N engine and head.

Gasket fit perfectly with no modification.

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
Using stock N engine and head.

Gasket fit perfectly with no modification.

wow and all the ports lined up?

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
Yup, all lined up.

You sure about that? I'm seeing a bunch of missing ports there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You sure about that? I'm seeing a bunch of missing ports there.

Tbh, I'm not the main person doing the work.

I was going to say in my other thread that the main person doing the work is a good friend that works at the dealership.

While the dealership isn't always the best resource or up to date, this guy actually started working on volvos prior to getting a job there and was in the process of building an 800hp s70 (following Matt micoillo build) before going in a different direction.

I can ask him some additional questions if you can be specific and I can relay to him.

He's also on the fb group (Jesse Wildman).

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Starting to prep for paint and found this score at a local GY. Great to find a car in the same color with exactly the parts I needed to avoid body filler.

Note the Swedespeed sticker..... anyone recognize this car? Located in NorCal.

201 - 220 of 378 Posts