SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our loved 855R M56 has been a great car, but has outlived its use as a daily and will transition to a family track car.

Looking for input on safety cage kits, or designs. Haven’t found much information despite extensive searching.

Input is appreciated.

·
Registered
16,104 Posts
Oil pan/pickup need updating for the engine to survive heavy cornering in addition to adding an extra quart of oil.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My input would be if you want a fun FWD track car, to sell it for a couple grand, buy a an EG hatch, put some good tires and eBay coilovers on it, and blast full throttle while laughing maniacally. 850s aren't track cars unless you put $$$$$$ into them, which, if it's in your budget then of course go ahead, it might just turn into more of a project than you're expecting

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil pan/pickup need updating for the engine to survive heavy cornering in addition to adding an extra quart of oil.
Good point on the oil pan and capacity. Updated B5254T4 pickup and pan with remote cooler are part of the build plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My input would be if you want a fun FWD track car, to sell it for a couple grand, buy a an EG hatch, put some good tires and eBay coilovers on it, and blast full throttle while laughing maniacally. 850s aren't track cars unless you put $$$$$$ into them, which, if it's in your budget then of course go ahead, it might just turn into more of a project than you're expecting
Staying with Volvo roots for a dedicated track car.... I promise this car will handle just fine.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Staying with Volvo roots for a dedicated track car.... I promise this car will handle just fine.

Sounds good I've just seen so many threads with this same objective pop up and they go nowhere, not saying that will be you but the success rate doesn't seem to be very high lol. That said, an 850R full specced out for the track is a thing of beauty, see this guy's YouTube channel for inspiration...

Main investments would be good tires, coilovers, and a 25mm rear sway bar if you can find one

https://youtu.be/VaQigwMqEZU

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good I've just seen so many threads with this same objective pop up and they go nowhere, not saying that will be you but the success rate doesn't seem to be very high lol. That said, an 850R full specced out for the track is a thing of beauty, see this guy's YouTube channel for inspiration...

Main investments would be good tires, coilovers, and a 25mm rear sway bar if you can find one

https://youtu.be/VaQigwMqEZU
Thanks.... that’s a great clip! I’m certainly not asserting it will stay with my ZL1 Camaro if we were in the same session (although my son seems to think he will), but I think it will be great for family track events and for my boys to get some experience.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Good point on the oil pan and capacity. Updated B5254T4 pickup and pan with remote cooler are part of the build plan.

When RSI still existed they frequently tracked an NA 850 that was fully caged. They went through multiple engines due to oil starvation issues, particularly when running at ORP (Oregon Raceway Park), which is notorious for long sustained sweeping turns. The solution was pretty aggressive baffling fabricated into the oil pan, along with (IIRC) some various trial and error with pick up style and location.

I don’t think just using an RN pan, pickup and cooler is going to cut it. But I trust your ability to figure it all out! Can’t wait to see the progress, sounds like a fun project.

·
Registered
16,104 Posts
C70 lower chassis brace and subframe or delrin subframe bushings. Staying with 2 bolt control arms allows you to adjust caster, albeit super annoyingly by pressing them into different positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
C70 lower chassis brace and subframe or delrin subframe bushings. Staying with 2 bolt control arms allows you to adjust caster, albeit super annoyingly by pressing them into different positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Powerflex control arm bushing are going in next week. Not as worried about caster as I am camber until the safety cage and subframe braces are in and ride height is established.

Focused on cage, seats, and controls at the moment.

The car will be factory red in & out with stock dash & center console. Black & Red Sparco seats & red belts.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When RSI still existed they frequently tracked an NA 850 that was fully caged. They went through multiple engines due to oil starvation issues, particularly when running at ORP (Oregon Raceway Park), which is notorious for long sustained sweeping turns. The solution was pretty aggressive baffling fabricated into the oil pan, along with (IIRC) some various trial and error with pick up style and location.

I don’t think just using an RN pan, pickup and cooler is going to cut it. But I trust your ability to figure it all out! Can’t wait to see the progress, sounds like a fun project.
We’ll figure out the oiling. The 4T4 pan has decent baffling (had to modify it on my 4T4 engine to move the oil drain plug) and an additional quart of capacity.

The oil cooler will add one additional quart of capacity and considering and accusump system as an added measure for not too much additional cost.

Mostly worried about safety and control as a 1st order.

Honestly I may design a little understeer into the car with a lighter rear sway bar until the kids are comfortable driving at speed. Planning to start with a 200TW tire initially for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Continuing the oil pressure topic, I’ve used Accusump on other race car builds with good success. Best practice is to build a self sustaining oil system with cooling and reserve capacity / pressure for safely, but that’s sometimes a luxury. Take a Gen2 Mazda RX7 with a 500HP Ford V8 as an example.... Aux capacity abs pressure was necessary to keep the car on track.

Unlike most 850 track cars, this will not be NA and will run a 19T at 12 - 14 PSI, so oil, air charge, and coolant cooling will be paramount for success.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
32 Posts
Something simple and easy to do is a sunroof delete. The sunroofs way a lot and they're way up high. I've done a delete on an 850 wagon and it wasn't very difficult at all. Btw, good luck with this build. The world needs more track wagons.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Something simple and easy to do is a sunroof delete. The sunroofs way a lot and they're way up high. I've done a delete on an 850 wagon and it wasn't very difficult at all. Btw, good luck with this build. The world needs more track wagons.
Thanks cyester, that is definitely on the list!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome job on the cage CJ. Thanks for sending the link. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,385 Posts
Did you just weld in a sheet in the sunroof opening or swap in a non-sunroof roof panel?

I make a baffle kit for the stock pan that works great. Let me know if that floats your boat.
I'm also curious to see this baffle kit.....definitely keeping the N pan on my T-5R but almost all it does anymore is come out of hibernation for a couple road trips a year to the mountains and blowing it up going around a corner would be super lame.....

1 - 20 of 378 Posts