SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a stupid question. Our driver's side headlight is out on our 95 Wagon. Looked in the manual, and they talk about putting in two new bulbs. Typically, I used to just buy a new headlight at the auto parts store.

Do I need to get the actual bulbs and then remove the cover to replace them? Is this a 5 minute project or an hour nightmare (as on my Toyota pickup). My wife called yesterday and they are out - haven't even looked at popping off the cover yet. Thanks in advance - Adam

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a simple operation. First open the hood and lok at the back of the headlight assembly. There are two access covers, one for each light bulb. simply turn the cover to remove it, then reach inside, and thurn the bulb to relaease it, and then disconnect it from its wiring harness. take the bulb to your autoparts store to get a new one, and reverse the process to put it back in. There are instructions in your owners manual as well.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The job takes a few min. Not quite easy as pie, but good enough to be a cakewalk. The low beam bulb is a standard 9005 and the high beam bulb is a standard 9006. These bulbs are at nearly any store that has hardware of sorts. In all honesty, Wal-Mart has had the lowest price on Sylvania bulbs in a twin pack for $14.00. I always replace both at the same time as the bulbs do get dimmer with age. (Halogen gas excapes or depreciates in the bulb) For better, but not legal, lighting try any local speed shop. They usually sell 60-100 watt bulbs that will fit in perfectly. I have used 80 watt bulbs in everything that I drive, and have never had an issue.

Prospero

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Adam,

Like the others have said above, it is a very simple procedure. I would replace both bulbs if I were you. Get a good set of premium Philips or Sylvania bulbs.

*NOTE* Make sure you DO NOT TOUCH the glass part of the new bulbs with your fingers, because the oil from your fingers will get burnt into the bulb glass and leave a film that will diminish the output of the bulbs.

Also, another thing you might want to consider is turning off your DRL's (Daytime Running Lamps) after you put your new bulbs in if you have not done this yet. Doing this will make your bulbs last (70%) a lot longer.
Turning off your DRL's is a very simple procedure as well, if you need some help.

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 02-08-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts